cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dudditz
Level 8

Word Online Business Connector PowerApps

So I have a question about certain connectors. I am testing out the Word Online Business Connector and have added it to PowerApps. It seems like you can add it's function as power apps recognizes it. When building a button and adding the following formula
'WordOnline(Business)'.CreateFileItem("https://sharepoint.com/sites/DH1","P1","template.docx")
PowerApps seems to be okay with this formula and no errors are being returned until I select the button that I have applied this formula to. See image.

So is this meant to be used directly within PowerApps or do I have to use this from a Flow? I am not finding any documentation that indicates how to prepare your word document for using with PowerApps. In this test I added developer tab, added a plain text control, properties, and within title I named it the field text name. No idea if this is correct however it seems like it would need some type of identifier within the word document.

Anyone else out there tried this connector with PowerApps? I see a lot of potential with this connector however the documentation is really lacking

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Re: Word Online Business Connector PowerApps

CreateaFile I am 98% sure can only be done using Flow. Mine they can type in the name they want for the document, have a button that triggers it is in PowerApps and I force the name to be a ".docx" and then the flow runs.

My flow: Gets File Content, Creates File

I have a template that I let them copy and then edit which I think looks like you are doing too. 

Super User
Super User

@Dudditz 
It appears from that message that you do not have any template elements in the file.  But, as you say, you did add some with the text control.  Not sure of the viability of this in PowerApps vs. Flow.  I know that in Flow (at least) it "picks up/reads" the controls that it can use - as per this article.

Also an article that might be helpful, even though it is discussing Dynamics.

I chimed in on this because I thought you might also be interested in reading a recent post that dealt with this and other options.

Also, this thread has some more information that might be helpful.

Hope this helps get you going.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Dudditz
Level 8

Thank you all for you feedback.  After further reading up on this it works fine from flow and it see's my placeholders.  I am under the impression this can't be done straight from PowerApps as my template is the same in both.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Dudditz ,

Do you want to populate a word template using 'WordOnline(Business)'.CreateFileItem() formula within PowerApps?

I have made a test on my side, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

When you execute the WordOnline(Business)'.CreateFileItem() formula within your app, there is no way to pass parameters to corresponding arguments you specified within your word template file.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

As an alternative solution, you could consider take a try to achieve your needs using Microsoft Flow. I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:6.JPG

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
elephant_33
Level: Powered On

@v-xida-msft  When you do the process as outlined below, and save the new file back to sharepoint, are you able to open the file in word (desktop) version? I have tried and was only able to get it to work once.. even with a blank page template with one non-rich text filed added to it. I get an error. 

sajarac
Level 8

Hey @elephant_33 , I did this and it works great. I am happy with the result. Now I am trying to include pictures also in the word document, but here is what I did:

My powerapps save the dat in a Share Point list.

I have a button to print the selected record.

That button triggers the event in my flow

The flow get the item from the Share Point List.

Populate a MS word template with the fields. (This template in SAVED in my onedrive

The flow create a file word file.docx in a folder in the same path

then the flow convert that word document to PDF.

Compose an email and the user receives an email with the PDF enclosed.

If you still have issues I can share some screen shots.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,905)