cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Working with record types

How can I display the contents/value of a record type?

There is no Intellisense in the layer below the name of the record, all the content I've tried placing here is designated by the "compiler" as an error.

Setting it as the text property of a textbox control hasn't worked for me either.

Yes, I'm talking about a Sharepoint multi choice field.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Working with record types

Hi Lifelongjourney,

Do you want to show the content of a SharePoint Choice field on an app?
What error message do you get?
Could you show me more details about your scenario for better understanding?

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The scenario is this. I am developing an app which connects to data in a SharePoint list, we'll call this list Entities. One column of the Entities list is the Customer column - an entity can be associated with one or more customers. This attribute has been implemented as a column of type Choice, with Multiple Values enabled. I don't have the permissions to edit the List Settings, so I can't change the implementation.

I want to read and write data to this column from PowerApps. Doco tells me the Choice column type does supports reading values, but not writing back to the list. I haven't had any success with reading or writing. I am guessing this is because the ability to read (as advertised in the linked page) is only present for Choice fields where Multiple Values is disabled. Is that deduction true?

In a Display Form control, when I make the Customer property visible, the Default attribute of the DataCard is automatically set to ThisItem.Customer. There is a yellow triangle next to this attribute with the error message "Invalid Name". I note that all other columns in the list display OK.

Any help appreciated, many thanks.

P.S. There is a small error in this page. In the paragraph titled Record Selection, there are two references to the SelectedItem property of a Gallery control. Gallery controls do have a Selected property, but no SelectedItem.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Lifelongjourney,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that there is a column named Customer in your SharePoint list, and it is a Choice column type with “allow multiple selections” enabled.

So I create two choice columns in my list, SimpleChoice is “Drop-Down Menu”, MultipleChoice is “Checkboxes(allow multiple selections)”. Looks like below:

Choice1.PNG

When I create an app based on this list, only SimpleChoice column is shown on the app. I am not able to show MultipleChoice column, so it is not possible to read and write data to this column from PowerApps. I guess that multiple selections would be not supported in Powerapps currently.

Choice2.PNG

If I understand you correctly, to show multiple selections on an app, may I suggest you submit this as an idea on PowerApps Ideas Forum at here:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

What do you mean by “make the Customer property visible”? As MutileChoice column is not shown on the app, I am not able to set any of its properties. Could you show me more details about this step?

About SelectedItem property of a Gallery control, I also found that we can set Items property of a Form as Gallery.Selected, but not Gallery.SelectedItem.
Thanks for your feedback about this small error, I will report this from my side, hope this article can be updated.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If I understand you correctly, to show multiple selections on an app, may I suggest you submit this as an idea on PowerApps Ideas Forum at here:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

I have posted an Idea to give full support for SharePoint choice fields. The support state is pretty sorry considering PowerApps is in GA now.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Full-support-for-Sharepoint-Choice-fields/idi-p/...

What do you mean by “make the Customer property visible”? As MutileChoice column is not shown on the app, I am not able to set any of its properties. Could you show me more details about this step?

The field is in the list of available fields. I thought there might be something that can be made using a custom card, anything to achieve as much functionality as possible.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Lifelongjourney,

Thanks for your understanding. I will also report this feature request about full support for reading and writing to SharePoint Choice fields, including ones with multiple selections enabled.

About your second question, I guess it should be also related to the multiple selection enabled choice field. As this field is not shown on the app, so you might not be able to achieve it by using a custom card.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 481 members 6,682 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: