cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lknudson1
Level: Powered On

azure vm with sql installed vs azure sql

I have created an Azure SQL connection and have created connection to PowerApps fine.

1. In order create connection to SQL Server loaded on an Azure VM, do you need to load "On-premises" data Gateway in order to connect to PowerApps?

2. Why would you use Azure SQL (no vm) vs. Azure vm with SQL installation?  Any performance differences?

I currently am using on-premises Gateway to SQL Server installation located in my office and it seems kind of slow.

Looking for best performance configuration.

4 REPLIES 4
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: azure vm with sql installed vs azure sql

@Pstork1 will be the best guy to answer this

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

You should be able to use Azure SQL on a VM without a gateway if you adjust your Network Security gateway (NSG) to allow access to the server from the internet.  It is not allowed by default.

Azure SQL without a VM provides database support without giving you access to some things like Sql Server properties.  You pay for the performance you use in SQL rather than the performance you use running the VM.  Its also in general more elastic to demand.  There are trade-offs, but if all I want is SQL I normally prefer to use the Azure SQL databases rather than spining up a VM and installing SQL.  Of course then you can't run other processes on the SQL VM either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Super User
Super User

Just to say, if you are planning on connecting PowerApps and Azure SQL and are not aware of the new license model for PowerApps, make sure you consider the cost implications - whereas before you could build PowerApps with Azure SQL databases in the base O365 offering, in future you will need to pay $10 per month per user per App* that connects to Azure SQL (exactly when this kicks in varies depending on if you have existing Apps, the length of your existing license and so on).

*App can actually mean 2 Apps as long as they are part of the same business process (e.g. a desktop and mobile version of the same App). For $40 per user per month, the licensed user can run as many PowerApps as they wish.

We had been building a lot of our Apps on Azure SQL for clients but the license change drastically alters (increases) costs and our clients have abandoned pretty much all our planned projects which were to be based on Azure SQL as result.

PowerApps on Azure SQL is an awesome combination, but now only cost effective if your App has a small number of users and high business value.

Much more info here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/News-Announcements-Formerly/New-PowerApps-and-Flow-Licensing-com... 

yapper
Level: Powered On

@PaulD1,

I'm glad to hear a big name in the community mention this impact. Would be nice to hear some more background on why the cost of PowerApps and Flow is going up from $7/user (P1) for unlimited access to $40/user for the same access. There aren't any additional features one gets for the increase.

Our jobs as evangelicals for the platform just got a lot harder.

A possible outcome of this is that PowerApps becomes more of a rapid prototyping tool than a bonafide enterprise solution.

Toss a little of this (https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-PowerApps-Formerly/storage/m-p/374730/highlight/true#M1...) in there too and...yikes...

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 102 members 5,351 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: