NNikumbh
Level: Powered On

create - approval, send for rework, full reject mechanism

Hi members, 

Any ideas on how we can create a approval flow where

- Requestor adds item to SP 

- Approver gets task / email with SP item details

- He can send the form for rework to the requestor

- Requestor makes updates and submit. Approver gets notified about changes & can take action on the item again. 

- This loop may run any times

- Or he can fully cancel the approval. 

Any pointers how this can be implemented using PowerApps + Flow? 

Thanks!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: create - approval, send for rework, full reject mechanism

Hi @NNikumbh ,

Do you want to send an approval email to the Approver when the Requestor adds item to your SP list?

Do you also want to send a form to the requestor to update their request?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the comnination of PowerApps and Microsoft Flow could achieve your needs. I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

Flow's configuration as below:6.JPG

8.JPG

Within the "Send an email 3" action of above flow, you could embed the Web Link of your PowerApps app along with a ID parameter into the email body as above. Then the requestor could edit their request through your PowerApps app directly via clicking the web link in their email body.

App's configuration as below:

Set the OnStart property of the App control to following:

Set(ItemID, Param("ID"));
If(
    !IsBlank(ItemID),
     Navigate(EditScreen1, ScreenTransition.None)
)

Within your Edit screen, set the Item property of the Edit form to following:

If(
    !IsBlank(ItemID),
    LookUp('YourSPList', ID = Value(ItemID)),
    BrowseGallery1.Selected
)

Note: You need to generate an app based on your SP List data source firstly.

More details about editing an record through the embedded link within the email body of an email, please check my response within the following threads:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Embedded-link-to-a-Sharepoint-List-item-in-Po...

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Editing-a-record-from-a-flow-powerapp/m-p/265...

Please consider take a try with above solution, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @NNikumbh ,

Do you want to send an approval email to the Approver when the Requestor adds item to your SP list?

Do you also want to send a form to the requestor to update their request?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the comnination of PowerApps and Microsoft Flow could achieve your needs. I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

Flow's configuration as below:6.JPG

8.JPG

Within the "Send an email 3" action of above flow, you could embed the Web Link of your PowerApps app along with a ID parameter into the email body as above. Then the requestor could edit their request through your PowerApps app directly via clicking the web link in their email body.

App's configuration as below:

Set the OnStart property of the App control to following:

Set(ItemID, Param("ID"));
If(
    !IsBlank(ItemID),
     Navigate(EditScreen1, ScreenTransition.None)
)

Within your Edit screen, set the Item property of the Edit form to following:

If(
    !IsBlank(ItemID),
    LookUp('YourSPList', ID = Value(ItemID)),
    BrowseGallery1.Selected
)

Note: You need to generate an app based on your SP List data source firstly.

More details about editing an record through the embedded link within the email body of an email, please check my response within the following threads:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Embedded-link-to-a-Sharepoint-List-item-in-Po...

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Editing-a-record-from-a-flow-powerapp/m-p/265...

Please consider take a try with above solution, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

NNikumbh

@v-xida-msft  This is excellent... Thanks for your response....

Regarding your questions: 

Do you want to send an approval email to the Approver when the Requestor adds item to your SP list? - YES

Do you also want to send a form to the requestor to update their request? - YES 

I have implemented the approach upto this point. Just struggling to finalize when the requestor submits/saves back the edit form, how will we take the flow forward? In my requirement ideally it should send a email back to approver that request is amended its ready for review again. 

Approach I am thinking of: 

Send an email to approver once changes are done. This email may have a similar kind of link to powerapp view form with Approve / Reject button directly on the form. 

Please suggest if this is ok and possibility to approve / reject from the app. OR Any better way. 

Kind Regards.... 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @NNikumbh ,

Do you want to send an email to the Approver when the requestor made changes to this request item?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the solution I provided above could achieve your needs completely.

Once the requester made changes to the request item in your SP List through the PowerApps app form, the "When an item is created or modified" trigger in your flow would be fired again, then it would send another approval email to the Approver again.

Please consider take a try with above solution I provided, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

NNikumbh

Ok @v-xida-msft I think I got what you are trying to say. 

Do you want to send an email to the Approver when the requestor made changes to this request item? - YES

There are total 7 stages of approval if you consider my whole scenario. For that I am already using switch cases per stage. 

So Shall I put this whole thing in each case? 

Thanks. 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @NNikumbh ,

Yeah, you are right. Please take a try with it on your side, if you have any issue with it, please share a screenshot about it, I would provide a proper workaround for you.

Best regards,

NNikumbh

Hi @v-xida-msft 

Have sent you screenshots of my current flow in separate msg. please check. 

NNikumbh

Hi @v-xida-msft , 

I added the logic in the switch-case for all my stages, but how can we change the stages? So that if a stage is approved, it should move to next stage.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,270)