Did you mean: 

export of CDM entity template failing

papp.png

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: export of CDM entity template failing

Hi AmitLoh,

Please check the drop down button on the top right corner on PowerApps.com. Before, I have environment 1(default) and environment2(always used environment). In environment2, when I select an Entity to export it as a template, I would get the same issue with you.

enviroment.PNG

Then I change the environment to Environment1(default), and when I click the Entities on the left navigation pane, I would be asked to create a new environment. In this case, I create environment3(Mable’s Common Data Model) for a test. In environment3(Mable’s Common Data Model), I would be able to use Export template button to export the entity.

new environmt.PNG

Please try if you could create a new environment to export entities as templates. Please try if this works for you.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

this worked. Is there any feature coming up that lets me import template after adding additional schema columns as well?

That will be so cool and I am waiting to become DBA using excel import.

PowerApps Staff Vijeta
PowerApps Staff

Hi Amit,

Glad it worked for you. We are working on importing schema of entity with data functionality.

Thanks

ree
Level: Power Up

I tried creating a new environment and exporting from the default environment and I am still getting the same "export failed" error.  Any other thoughts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get the same '! Export Failed' message for the template or the data.

I also tried exporting the table as Environment resources in the Admin Center and imported the resources in to a new environment and still got the Export Failed error when exporting the template from the new environment.

Any Ideas on a work around or a fix?

Thanks

ree
Level: Power Up

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately, I have a support ticket in with the Microsoft PowerApps dev team.  It appears the initial person I was speaking with could not duplicate the problem on her end.  Upon remoting in, she could see I am having the same issue while using Chrome, Edge, and IE.  I will be sure to post what works when they figure it out. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ree,

Just an FYI...One of my MS Support contacts said your ticket should be passed from the PowerApps Dev team to the CDS Dev team for quicker resolution, you may want to get your ticket updated.

I did manage to make a work around to export entity data:

1. Create an excel file with your entity fields
    1. Select the column headers and insert a table
    2. Leave the default table name alone (Table1) - do not change it
    3. Save it on OneDrive
  2. Make sure you are in your correct environment
  3. Create a PowerApps Flow
    1. Start with a blank flow (in the PowerApps site not the Flow site)
    2. PowerApps will be the 1st trigger - you cannot edit this
    3. Add a New Step (ANS) then Add An Action (AAA)
    4. Search "common" in the dialogue box
    5. Pick Common Data Service - Get List of Records
      1. Pick default from the database dropdown
      2. Pick your Entity from the Entity dropdown
    6. ANS & AAA
    7. Search "Excel" in the dialogue box
    8. Pick Insert Row
      1. For the File Name use the folder button to find your Excel file on One Drive (or other repositories)
      2. For the Table Name use the drop down to select "Table1" (you created in step 1)
      3. A field mapping matrix will appear, if you have spaces in the Excel field names they will look funky but you should be able to complete the mapping between your entity and Excel
      4. Complete the mapping
    9. ANS
      1. When you add new step the Excel Insert Row step should convert to an Apply to Each loop and you should get prompted the firt time - say yes/ok. This will copy the entity data record by record to Excel
    10. You can cancel the ANS here but my preference is to add an ANS & AAA for Office Outlook 365 - Send an email
      1. This is straight forwards just setup an email with a relevant subject and body so you know when the copy is complete (for about 20 columns per row it takes about 2 seconds each record so it's not fast)
    11. You can run the flow from here or attach it to a button in a PowerApp (I think I will make a Utilities App with flows like this until CDS gets some fixes)
  4. Done

Hope this helps 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,294)