cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rockonron
Level: Powered On

geotag data from iphone

Came across a strange issue today, It would seem if i take a photo in powerapps on an iphone using the Add image control (which will start the native camera app on the device) it does not capture the geotagging data.

If I do the same thing on android it works fine.

I have enabled location permissions on IOS but still no luck.

I suspect the issue is because the IOS camera is not saving the image to the device and as such the geotag data is not been applied, whereas in android the image is saved to the device.

Anyway, does anyone know of a way to take a photo in powerapps on an iphone and retain the geotag data.

A possible solution might be to capture the location data seperately using the location control in powerapps, however i have a need to embed this location data in the image as metadata. So if there was solution to injecting the longitude and latitude into an image via Flow or something similar that may also work.

Any and all ideas welcome.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: geotag data from iphone

Hi @rockonron ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to include geotagging data (longitude and latitude value) within the image captured via the "Add picture" control?

If you want to include geotagging data (longitude and latitude value) within the image captured via the "Add picture" control, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

As an alternative solution, if you want to get the geotagging data (longitude and latitude value) when you take picture, I think the Location function could achieve your needs. Please take a try with the following formula:

Location.Latitude
Location.Longitude

If you want to inject the longitude and latitude into an image via MS Flow, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs currently.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
PowerApps Staff mobaky
PowerApps Staff

Re: geotag data from iphone

Hello @rockonron ,

I've looked into this issue and I was able to see that some of the Exif information is removed only on iOS. This is done by the operating system for privacy reasons and can not be avoided with our current implementation but I would suggest that you submit an Idea so that the appropriate team can have a look at it.

Thanks,

Mobaky

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,612)