cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

how to delete a screen & using the filter - update context

Hi Power users,

Please I would like to know how to delete a screen I am no longer using. I tried deleting a screen but the delete button on my laptop didn't work, and didn't see any icon on the screen either. Please what am I missing.

Also I would like to understand how the filter /update context function is used. I have a list that I would like to filter based on the values in the rows of a column called process. How do i do this?

I have tried using th formular

Navigate(BrowseScreen1,ScreenTransition.Fade,Filter('Schedule of Authority',Process = Text)

but it's not working, please what am I missing.  Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
mr-dang
Level 10

Re: how to delete a screen & using the filter - update context

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Power users,

Please I would like to know how to delete a screen I am no longer using. I tried deleting a screen but the delete button on my laptop didn't work, and didn't see any icon on the screen either. Please what am I missing. 

There are two ways to delete a screen. 

• Click on the ellipsis button beside a Screen and click Delete Screen (screenshot below)
  • Click on a Screen in the panel and press the Delete key. The Screen must be the last object selected for this to work.

delete screen.png

@Anonymous wrote:

Also I would like to understand how the filter /update context function is used. I have a list that I would like to filter based on the values in the rows of a column called process. How do i do this?

I have tried using th formular

Navigate(BrowseScreen1,ScreenTransition.Fade,Filter('Schedule of Authority',Process = Text) 

Filter is not a function that is "actively" used. You can think of PowerApps like Excel: the cell is the unit that pulls in information by peeking elsewhere, and cells are not agents that can actively push information into other cells. 

There are two main ways to Filter the things you want:

• Make a button that Collects() the filtered result to be used elsewhere
  • Make a gallery whose Items point to a Filter

Method 1

Since your formula included Navigate(), I presume you have a Button. So the first method might be more to your liking. Rewrite the formula to include two parts: filtering what you want to a temporary collection and then navigating to the next screen

ClearCollect(temp,Filter('Schedule of Authority',Process = Text));
Navigate(BrowseScreen1,ScreenTransition.Fade)

The 'temp' collection has all records of 'Schedule of Authority' in which Process matches desired Text. Then you will be navigated to BrowseScreen1. A semicolon is used to chain more than one action.

Since 'temp' has what you want, you can use it in the Items property of Galleries, ListBoxes, etc.

Method 2

Normally you would set Items to 'Schedule of Authority', but if you don't want all the records, then you would use Filter() instead. Set the Items property of Gallery1 to show the filtered result:

Filter('Schedule of Authority',Process = Text)

Let me know if that works.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mr Dang,

Thanks a lot for the reply. So I wanted to try out solution one but hit a snag almost immediately.

On inputing the clearCollect formular, I noticed that the next attribute temp was invalid, and nothing came in the drop down list for it. it wasn't recognised. Can you please help check this out? Thank you.

Cheers,

Ajoke

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mr Dang,

Would be glad if you can help out, so I tried the solution again and the button simply links back to Browse Screen 1 and bypasses the instruction to clearcollect and filter.

Thank you very much.

AJ01

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mr Dang,

Please just checking with you. can you please help out. When I try to use the clearcollect propert the temp attribute you mentioned throws up an error. Can you suggest a way to go around this?

Also it seemed to suggest that immediately after clearCollect I should put Schedule of Authority so I tried to do that. can you please help me with looking into it? the clearcollect property doesn't seem to be so cclear.

Would have tried option two but I don't understand what the trigger for the filter would be after setting the items property. Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Ajoke

mr-dang
Level 10

Hi, 

If you set a button to:

ClearCollect(temp,Filter('Schedule of Authority',Process = Text))

does data appear in the Collections screen? Can you let me know what conditions you specifically need (see red)?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mr Dang,

Please see below. Powerapps doesn't recognise temp. 

Picture1.png

mr-dang
Level 10

Hi,

It looks like you're missing a close-parenthesis at the end. Does it work if you put it in?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
JimmyS
Level 8

Thank you so much for that reply. You answered a question I posted yesterday. How to create multiple filters on one screen to populate a Gallery on another. Like; Appointments more than 3 days old, New Appointments, Completed Appointments, etc. Your solution works perfectly. And something like DueDate>1/1/2000, will display ALL records. Cool!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,553)