cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kinamdar
Level: Power Up

launch function fails in mobile app but works great in browser

Hello,

I am using the launch function to launch a SharePoint website from the app It works fine on my desktop. But fails to load from the phone. So i tried the same by embedding Facebook.com The same thing happened. Is there something I have to do differently to make Launch work on my mobile app?

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: launch function fails in mobile app but works great in browser

The launch () function works from my testing.

Tested under IOS devices.

By default, the launch () function would open the default Browser under your Mobile device for those links.

Make sure you have a Browser available under your Mobile device.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am facing same problem. My app is working in browser but not on mobile. My launch function is not working on phone. Please help how do I solve it.

Crai8088
Level: Powered On

Hi, I have come across the same problem, 

Works fine on Browser, 

Launch("https://web.powerapps.com/apps/1ae4e9f9-8aaf-46c2-97ff-6038931ea0fe/", "MyUserId", MyUserId)

However when used in Mobile Application, it doesnt Launch anything, it shows up an error, "This app didn't install correctly"

Session id: d693208e-f1e4-406e-9a42-Bb76c87ff89a9

mr-dang
Level 10

@Crai8088, can you try this again in your app?

I am interested in knowing:

• what device is this
  • what version is its operating system
  • what version of PowerApps is it running?
  • Can you get a new sessionid attempting to Launch.
  • Are you using an adblocker?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
sephilli

@Crai8088 and others:

There is an issue with your URL: there can not be a trailing slash at the end...

Launch("https://web.powerapps.com/apps/1ae4e9f9-8aaf-46c2-97ff-6038931ea0fe/", "MyUserId", "MyUserId")

You can mitigate this by either deleting the trailing slash or by just specifying the app ID with the provider prefix like....

Launch("/providers/Microsoft.PowerApps/apps/1ae4e9f9-8aaf-46c2-97ff-6038931ea0fe", "MyUserId", "MyUserId")

Additionally, when entering generic websites into the launch function, make sure to specify the protocol.

For example, if you would like to open bing.com on your phone's browser, you would need to specify the "https://" at the beginning like:

Launch("https://bing.com", "param1", "param2")

It was still incorrect that you had an error displayed with the address that you used, and we have filed an appropriate bug on it. 

I hope this helps and resolves any issues.

Crai8088

@mr-dang

• what device is this: Samsung Android XCover4 we have circa 150 of these devices in circulation.
  • what version is its operating system:  8.1.0
  • what version of PowerApps is it running?:  3.18111.14
  • Can you get a new sessionid attempting to Launch: New SessionId 7401e384-7b0d-4df5-b44b-6bf4ddded440
  • Are you using an adblocker?: No adblocker present. 

@sephilli if i do  not use the trailing slash, the application does not launch in the browser it mearly takes me to the PowerApps home page. Likewise if i use: 

/providers/Microsoft.PowerApps/apps/

This also does not launch anything within a browser. 

I am wanting 1 launch command that works both on a browser and a mobile application as there is currently no way to determine the type of device that a user is using. 

If i just use the AppId this does not launch in a Browser, default Browser is Chrome Version 70.0.3538.102  (64-bit)

Kind Regards

Craig

sephilli

Just to be very specific, if you specify the prefix with the appID...

/providers/Microsoft.PowerApps/apps/<appID>

.... So, in your case ..... 

Launch("/providers/Microsoft.PowerApps/apps/1ae4e9f9-8aaf-46c2-97ff-6038931ea0fe", "<Parameter>", "<Value>")

This does not work on the Browser?

If you set it to be either JUST the prefix OR the 32-character hex string, the expected result is that nothing will open.

Crai8088

@sephilli Thank you, the problem is solved! 

Launch("/providers/Microsoft.PowerApps/apps/1ae4e9f9-8aaf-46c2-97ff-6038931ea0fe", "<Parameter>", "<Value>")

Worked perfectly in both the Browser and Mobile Application, i believe it was the trailing slash that prevented this method from working yesterday, whereas using the HTTPS prefix it somehow required the trailing slash in the browser... 

Kind Regards

Craig 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,824)