cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joel
Level: Powered On

phone number link

I created a power app that gives me a list of people I need to call and why I need to call them.  It lists their phone number.  Does anyone know a way to launch my iphone phone app and dial the number by pressing on the phone number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff LauraOnu
PowerApps Staff

Re: phone number link

You need to set the onSelect action on the element using the Launch function.

callPhoneLink.jpg

More info on how Launch works: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/function-param/

You can test it while creating the app by hitting F5/ the play button on the top bar

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
PowerApps Staff LauraOnu
PowerApps Staff

You need to set the onSelect action on the element using the Launch function.

callPhoneLink.jpg

More info on how Launch works: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/function-param/

You can test it while creating the app by hitting F5/ the play button on the top bar

View solution in original post

Joel

Thank you.  Worked perfectly.

hpkeong
Level 10

Hi

In your last Powerapps version, with 10 samples, they are very usefula and I downloadn read all of them.

In fact, you included many features NOT explain in help.

- Google map

- SMS

- Tel

- and others.

Can you please include back all those useful SAMPLES for others to learn.

Your sample apps are GOOD in exploring actual functions than purely reading.

MAYbe I like to read but it really makes me learn DEEP into your apps.

TQ PG

hpkeong
hpkeong
Level 10

Hi PG

I check LAUNCH, PARAM on help..it does not tell how to use all those Launch( function).

Can you include for all of us?

TQ

hpkeong
Joel

Sure.  I am not professionally trained so excuse me if I oversimplify. I tried to insert screen shots but don't see that they carried over.

I right click on the phone number

At the top of the screen, while still on the Home tab, I change the drop down to OnSelect and I changed the fx area to Launch("tel:" & ThisItem.FacilityPhone) (or whatever your phone field is). Worked great.

Hope this helps

Highlighted
AW

Thanks for the info Joel and others. I've played with 3 (and also email) mentioned in this thread. Here is the syntax for those 4 items in case anyone needs more examples:

Google Maps (just to go to the address):
Launch("https://www.google.com/maps?q=" & ThisItem.{address field})
(You can also just enter a name, city, ect. This is similar to searching for that item in Google Maps)
A site that lists other syntax for Google (such as map directions) is here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3217068/is-there-a-way-to-pass-arguments-to-google-maps-get-direc...

Phone
Launch("tel:" & ThisItem.{phone # field})

Text

Launch("sms:" & ThisItem.{phone # field})

Email

Launch("mailto:" & ThisItem.{email address field})

swetha

Hi,

Launch("tel"&thisitem.{phone fied})-->Is "tel " is the app id?Is dat app id will be common or differs.If it differes how can i get app id of   my phone app .Could you pls be more clear.I am follwing the thread of Phone link. So dat i can implement in my app as well.

swetha

How can i get that hyperlink under the phone number in display form. so dat if user goes to particular sharepoint item details form and clicks on the number, app should be launched??How to acheive this?

AW

Hi Swetha,
First, I'm no PA expert; just posting what has worked for me. The code doesn't reference an app ID. My exact code is pasted below.

Launch("tel:" & ThisItem.hyte)

• Launch tells the app to open something
  • tel informs it to open the telephone app - which will be the default for the device you're on (my assumption)
  • ThisItem.hyte is the data field holding the telephone number. (Yours may be something like ThisItem.phonenumber. "hyte" was the random fieldname my data source created automatically.)

If you copy this code exactly, paste it into the OnSelect option for the button/box you want to click, and replace "hyte" with the name of the field containing the telephone number, then it should open your phone app and dial the number.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,581)