cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pricing query powerapps

PowerApps Plan 2 $40 / user / month)

is this plan meant for developers who will develop apps using CDM and flow and powerapps?

and then end users will use app and flows with

PowerApps Plan 1 $7/ user / month)?

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff jo
PowerApps Staff

Re: pricing query powerapps

@AmitLoh-Powerap - Thanks for your follow-up, there are several differences between CDM and SQL, and I'll to highlight the most salient here:

1. The first big difference between CDM and SQL is that the price for CDM is not per application. Once you pay for CDM, you can have any number of applications work against CDS, including all the data and role management that we provide with CDM.  Consider the cost of supporting 20+ (or 200+) applications for your organization.
  2. Each PowerApps Plan 2 license comes the ability to create 2 CDM databases (capacity is pooled across the tenant)
  3. The price you call-out for SQL below does not factor-in the costs of the IT resources required to manage the database, which is not necessary with CDM
  4. CDM comes with the high availability and durability provided by the Common Data Service
  5. CDM automatically supports scaling-up your database as necessary to support your application(s) and data

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PowerApps Staff jo
PowerApps Staff

You are correct that Plan 2 is meant for those users who will be in charge of setting up and configuring your environments and your Common Data Service (i.e. CDM) databases, and that both Plan 1 and Plan 2 users can run all apps and flows (including those that leverage CDS).

However, one thing I do want to call-out is that users with PowerApps Plan 1 are also able to build apps and flows, they just will not have access to configure environments and Common Data Service databases.

I've included a couple of examples of how PowerApps can be purchased for your organization in my Licensing Overview article - https://powerapps.microsoft.com/tutorials/pricing-billing-skus/.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Thank you.

from your example- 

Time and absence app

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/tutorials/pricing-billing-skus/

if we have 1000 users and we want to build database style(asp.net like) simple application then we have to pay 1000*7$ per month for CDM database(instead of SQL server on premise).

That equals 84k per year just for simple applications. If we use on premise SQL and asp.net and kendo(SQL server standard is 300$ per month-SPLA cost much cheaper), basic servers are cheap now a days and kendo is free and then cost is 10k.

Could you please explain how CDM with 84k$ cost is better thank 10k$(asp.net/SQL based app)?

We are trying to reduce cost of on premise hardware and sql instances, so I am trying to understand the savings.

PowerApps Staff jo
PowerApps Staff

@AmitLoh-Powerap - Thanks for your follow-up, there are several differences between CDM and SQL, and I'll to highlight the most salient here:

1. The first big difference between CDM and SQL is that the price for CDM is not per application. Once you pay for CDM, you can have any number of applications work against CDS, including all the data and role management that we provide with CDM.  Consider the cost of supporting 20+ (or 200+) applications for your organization.
  2. Each PowerApps Plan 2 license comes the ability to create 2 CDM databases (capacity is pooled across the tenant)
  3. The price you call-out for SQL below does not factor-in the costs of the IT resources required to manage the database, which is not necessary with CDM
  4. CDM comes with the high availability and durability provided by the Common Data Service
  5. CDM automatically supports scaling-up your database as necessary to support your application(s) and data

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

View solution in original post

thank you!!

This helps in future migration for big projects.

Julien
Level: Powered On

Hi,

We are currently under a Office 365 Business Essentials for Nonprofits.

Do you have an idea if there are any particular plan for non profits concerning the CDS/CDM. You may correct me, but as i understand it, we will have access to powerapps, but not to CDS once the trial period is over.

PowerApps Staff jo
PowerApps Staff

Hey @Julien

You are correct that you would be able to try-out PowerApps & CDS while your trial is valid, but you will need to sign-up for a paid license once your trial expires.

Unforunately, we do not currently have a plan to include PowerApps in the Office 365 Business Essentials for Nonprofits subscription.

Thanks,

James

Julien
Level: Powered On

Ok,

One way you could look at, is giving the ability to test developp an app for one account (one level 1 & one level 2). That's important in a specific way for non profit as i'll try to explain. Often when we developp projects or search for fund raising, we have more and more the need to show what people are going to give money for. Often this part is held by the non profit organisation herself and when your means are restricted paying for a level 1 and level 2 plan can be heavy.

What is important for us would be to be able to get the capacity to developp some apps based on CDS (maybe a demo server on azure), present them with the cost for the number of Level 1 & 2 required, then go fundraising it. So if you're planing something for developpers that would be cool to keep this in mind.

Julien.

mv_bin-k
Level: Power Up

Same over here. Being able to prototype as a developer is a MUST. Once finished, we can indeed present the possibilities regarding costs to the customers, as Julien indicated. I VOTE YES!

PowerApps Staff jo
PowerApps Staff

You should be able to develop and prototype using the PowerApps Community plan: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/communityplan/.  This plan is for individual use, but does give you access to the Common Data Service.  Once you have developed your solution you can export it and import it into your production environment (or the production environment of your customer).

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,425)