cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonMillerUK
Level: Powered On

"Improved" app rendering = totally freezing app

Is anyone else seeing this? I have some galleries that are filtered based on selection of items from another gallery. They are set to conditionally display based on selection of a toggle using the visible control. However, I've been noticing that this can cause the entire application whether run on Surface Pros via the Windows client or via browser on any device to completely freeze. The only way out of it is to completely and forcibly close a browser tab or the client.

Improved app rendering has mostly been fine for me but this seems to have been occuring in versions of the app published at start of November. I notice that a new version of Studio has rolled out today to me so I will test further but just wondered if anyone else sees this?

Thanks.

Jon

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: "Improved" app rendering = totally freezing app

Hi @JonMillerUK,

Is this issue only happening to these devices that you you mentioned? Does it work on any other devices? Is this issue only happening to this specific app? Please try to create a new one and test.

What is your data source? If possible, please share the related formulas here. Like the Items property of your galleries.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JonMillerUK

Hi @v-monli-msft,

Thanks very much for the reply. To be honest, I've seen this only in these apps and on Windows and browsers but I've not had opportunity to test this on other platforms or in other apps.

The formula attached to the control that does this is as below. It does not appear to always trigger the freezing but is fairly consistent.

Let me know if you need some explanation of what this formula is actually doing. The data sources are local collections which originate from SharePoint lists as the online source. But this control does not directly interface to those lists.

Clear(EvidenceSourceIDs);
ForAll(EvidenceTagsCollection,Collect(EvidenceSourceIDs,Filter(Filter(LocalEvidenceChildItems,EventNumber = InspectionsGallery.Selected.EventNumber),Result in EvidenceTags)));

Clear(TagsFilterEvidence);
ForAll(Distinct(EvidenceSourceIDs,ChildItem),Collect(TagsFilterEvidence,Filter(LocalEvidenceChildItems,ChildItem = Result)));
UpdateContext({ShowEvidenceGallery:!ShowEvidenceGallery});
UpdateContext({ClearSeeSourcesSearchText:""})

The Items property of the gallery this then populates is:

If(IsBlank(SeeSourcesSearchInput.Text),
TagsFilterEvidence,
Filter(TagsFilterEvidence,Or(SeeSourcesSearchInput.Text in Title, SeeSourcesSearchInput.Text in Author.DisplayName, SeeSourcesSearchInput.Text in EvidenceDetail, SeeSourcesSearchInput.Text in EvidenceTags))
)

This happens more frequently in Windows than in browser and I wonder if this is related to fact that Windows client has not been updated for ages. Is there a reason why the Windows client is not being updated? It's critical for using PowerApps created with offline capability on devices such as Surface Pros.

Thanks for your help,

Jon

JonMillerUK

Further to the above, a session ID where this freezing was observed with Improved App Rendering was enabled is:

a55a0895-657d-425b-8fd6-1ba63a0a2b35

Hope that is of some use.

Jon

PowerApps Staff _Corey_
PowerApps Staff

@JonMillerUK Are you able to provide an updated session ID for this issue?  Thanks.

JonMillerUK

Hi @_Corey_ I’ll try and get you one.

But is the Windows PowerApps Player getting updated any time soon? It’s clearly been left behind - it’s displaying all sorts of weird behaviours you just don’t get on Android, iOS or browser. And obviously it’s critical for SaveData/LoadData scenarios on Windows devices...

JonMillerUK

Hi @_Corey_

Apologies for the delay - it's taken me a while to find the version of app where this happened where Improved App Rendering was on. However, I have now replicated this using the session ID below. The whole PowerApps Player app has frozen as soon as I click on the button that sets a variable to make a gallery visible with items filtered based on a couple of conditions.

Session ID: 306959c3-66b3-4cc0-ab71-3c5627087529 PowerApps 3.18054.21

Thanks,

Jon

PowerApps Staff _Corey_
PowerApps Staff

@JonMillerUK We have release a number of improvements with regards to visibility and auto-height.  Does this app still present a problem after being republished in the lastest version of Studio?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 358 members 6,033 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: