cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mokhawaja
Level 8

"expected dataentityrecord for navigation column" message when trying to save a form w lookup field

Hi,

i get the error "expected dataentityrecord for navigation column" when i try to save a form containing combobox referring to a lookup field

(see attachment), this error is in the new version of CDS 2.0, and it did not appear before in CDS1.0

thanks

Mohammad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TGrounds
Level 8

Re: "expected dataentityrecord for navigation column" message when trying to save a form w

I realized my issue - I have two data sources for Users - one is Users and the one from the CDS is Users_1 - once I corrected the data source I was able to get the record created correclty.  One item that I discovered is that I had to put my lookup value for the User entity in a variable and can't derive it as part of the formula (User().FullName).  Here is what finally worked.

Patch(PowerAppUserPreferencess,Defaults(PowerAppUserPreferencess),
{crcf1_SystemUser:LookUp(Users_1,fullname=UserName)},
{crcf1_Community:LookUp(Communitys,crcf1_communityname="Azure")},
{crcf1_lastlogin:Now()})

I dropped the line for the Option Set value because a value is defined in the CDS as a default and wasn't required here.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: "expected dataentityrecord for navigation column" message when trying to save a form w

Would you please share more details about the lookup field, and the entity you used here?

Per my understanding, the message should means for the navigation field, the required data is the dataentity record type.

Have you configured any customization for the lookup field?

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

DId you ever figure out what was causing this? I'm getting the same error and I have no idea why.

Tizzy
Level: Powered On

Same issue. Any updates?

TGrounds
Level 8

I'm receiving the same error - I have an entity with two lookup values (User & Community) - here is the patch command I'm trying to use:

{crcf1_SystemUser:LookUp(Users,fullname=UserName)},

I've put this on the 'OnSelect' action of a button to test that it is properly inserting the record.

Tizzy

Your lookup field should come up twice in the list of fields of the Form. One as a combobox, and one as text box. 

Set it up this way:

ComboBox with the list of text values, SelectMultiple to false, and nothing on the "Update" property.

TextBox with the "Default" set to the IDField of the ComboBox's Selected record (Should be a GUID) and the "Update" property of the DataCard set to the TextBox's "Text" property.

When you select an entry on the ComboBox, the TextBox updates it's "Text" to the GUID of the record selected. When you SubmitForm, you are only passing the GUID, not the record.

TGrounds
Level 8

I realized my issue - I have two data sources for Users - one is Users and the one from the CDS is Users_1 - once I corrected the data source I was able to get the record created correclty.  One item that I discovered is that I had to put my lookup value for the User entity in a variable and can't derive it as part of the formula (User().FullName).  Here is what finally worked.

{crcf1_SystemUser:LookUp(Users_1,fullname=UserName)},

I dropped the line for the Option Set value because a value is defined in the CDS as a default and wasn't required here.

View solution in original post

thomasgarcia83

@TGrounds,

Thank you so much for your post on your solution. This helped me tremendously this evening. I too suffered from the exact problem you posted.

Thankful,

-Tom

Lik93

Hi,

My combobox did came up twice in the list of fields.

The problem I have is that DataCard with text value does not have update functionality 😞

*the "Update" property set to its own "Text" property.

Can you please help me with this? Images in attachment.

Tizzy

Set the Update property of the DataCard to the "Text" property of the field that has the value "ecfd5e39-8b3f-e611-80e7-00155d7b242e" in your first screenshot...

I attached a screenshot where I typed the "Update" property of my DataCard, and set it to the "Text" property of my Text Input field "DataCardValue2".

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,953)