cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abendele
Frequent Visitor

3.20051.16 - PowerApp Patching SQL Data

After the release of version 3.20051.16, Power App is no longer patching data to may Qty column (Data Type: Float).  However, it does write data to my Modified column (Data Type: date).  I rolled back the version to the previous build and it works.  But, I can't make any more changes as I would need to save and publish, which automatically updates the build version. 

Gallery - TextInput - On Change: See attached

Button - On Select: See attached

4 REPLIES 4
abendele
Frequent Visitor

Is anyone having similar problems with the latest update affecting the app's ability to patch data in a SQL table? 

alrez
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

I haven't been having any issues in my test apps, but I am not doing anything too complicated with mine. Their might have been some kind of bug introduced in this last update. I would recommend opening a ticket with Microsoft Support on this. I will include a link below; on how to do so. Has there been any other communities members that might have also had this happen to them? Feel free to chime in.

Regards,

Alex

-------

Community Support Team _ Alex Rezac
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

linford585
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

We're experiencing something possibly similar. I haven't tried rolling back to a previous publish where the PowerApps version is different yet, but -

Previous publish was using PowerApps version 3.20023.8, most recent publish was on 5/27 using PowerApps version 3.20051.17. No changes were made to the particular PowerApps page that is having issues, and no changes were made to the SQL table it is interacting with.

I have some code that patches a full collection to an exactly matching SQL table, then calls a stored procedure which performs some work on that SQL table. It has been working for quite some time, but suddenly it's now only sometimes working... The SP is firing as expected, but since after this patch I have a Notify() with a If(IsEmpty(Errors('table I'm patching to'))), I'm receiving reports from users of the exact error that I have the Notify() set to throw if thrown... The SP audits what it is doing and records "Executed with no items to approve" if there is nothing new in the SQL table. Seeing this aduit result in my audit history does not necessarily mean something went wrong, but the frequency of this audit result does seem to have jumped since 5/27 when we last published.

I have found the resolution to my particular issue. It appears there may have been some behavioral change between 23.8 and 51.17 with the patch command.

@abendele it looks like our issues may actually be different after-all, or at least somewhat, but in case they are still somewhat related here is what I found:

I found we were all along accidentally trying to patch into a computed column in SQL, which under 23.8 and older, worked without issue (apparently it just ignored the column and didn't patch into it, but didn't throw any errors). I found that under 51.17, it still allows patching into a computed column (without error that is, it still doesn't update the column, as expected), but only when the column on the PowerApps side is empty. If it has a value, it now throws an error. In my scenario I've simply removed the column from my collection as we shouldn't be trying to patch into it anyway.

Separately, but because it does sound somewhat like your issue OP, we used to have a problem where patches would sometimes ignore some columns and not others, and not all the time (it seemed unpredictable). We found that patching via a for all loop was far too fast for what PowerApps apparently likes, causing strange behavior. So we switched to manipulating the data in PowerApps in a way where we could then take the finalized set and patch the whole collections as a set all at once to SQL and the issue hasn't occurred since. Hope you figure out your issue!

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,029)