Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
p6371174
Advocate I
Advocate I

5x Why and root cause analysis

Hi guys,

I just ran into an issue while converting an infopath form into powerapps. The problem I try to solve is: How do i make a 5x Why anaysis tool in powerapps? This type of method quickly makes a tree which is max 5 in depth. Number of branches can be infinit in every level. The solution in Infopath is simply to nest repeating tables 5 times and voilla. In powerapps this is not possible. What I've tried so far is to use a vertically gallery nested within a horizontal gallery to emulate branches. However this solution turns out to be very complex, and I cannot wrap my head around it. Any help and suggestions is velcome 🙂

Best regards

Philip Saxegaard

10 REPLIES 10
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@p6371174 

I would suggest explaining what a 5x analysis tool is and show a screenshot of your Infopath app.  Most people including me have no idea what a 5x Analysis Tool is...

Hi,

Sorry for jumping in too fast without explaining an important detail:

https://www.mindtools.com/media/Diagrams/5_Whys_Figure_2_multiple_lanes.pdf 

5xWhys.png

Hi @p6371174 ,

Please tag @mdevaney like this on your response - much easier to see in the feed.

@WarrenBelz 
If you wish, you can take-on this question.  While its intellectually interesting, I feel it would take a great deal of time to build a prototype and then write-up how I did it.

My purpose in this thread was just to ask the original poster to explain their issue enough that others could understand.

@p6371174 ,

I agree with @mdevaney .

I am (like him) happy to help with specific code issues if you get stuck, but app design and strategy is very much in the hands of the thought process of the individual relying on the elements that they have had experience in. Yours to me looks like something for cascading galleries, each filtered on the selected item in the one above.

ClipperSun
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am trying to build the same and been hitting roadblocks. Have you had any success with this? 

JB4
Frequent Visitor

@ClipperSun @p6371174 

I have just come across this topic. Can either of you confirm if you figured out a solution?

This would be of interest to me if you did. 

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

Yes, a solution to this has been successfully created: It was not the simplest of tasks. Especially the options for inserting rows in between oter rows.5xwhy.png

Philip

This is awesome work. If possible could you share the data regarding this build. I have tried and failed. Resorted to a pdf template to do this. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,392)