cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meneghino
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ability to patch null values, any update?

Hello PowerApps programme team.

Is there any update as to when we will be able to patch null or blank values to a data source?

Currently it is not possible to set a numeric field value in a data source to null from PowerApps.

Many thanks.

30 REPLIES 30

Hi @v-micsh-msft

Is there any update on this topic?
Many thanks.

Hi @Meneghino,

Nope, based on what I know.

I think if this has been added, there would be a blog posted.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-micsh-msft, thank you.

Any more insight on timing would be very much appreciated.

Thuc
Regular Visitor

I am also running into this situation today.

What bothered me is that I could not find any official information about this limitation until I found this post.

Is anyone from PowerApps team able to give an update on this so far?

Thanks.

Meneghino
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Thuc

Please see here for other limitations.

https://baizini-it.com/blog/index.php/2017/09/28/powerapps-and-azure-sql-database-current-issues/

I was told by MS yesterday that it probably will not be solved until next year...

I have a workaround that is OK, although not ideal. I am working on a sampleSQL Server database utilizing AdventureWorksLT There are Null values in the Products tables for the DiscontinuedDate and SellEndDate so on the icon I use for selecting the item to be displayed/edited from the Browse Gallery I set variables for the dates that might be null:

Navigate(scrnProductsDetail,ScreenTransition.None);Set(varProductItem, ThisItem); Set(varModelID, ThisItem.ProductModelID); Set(varCategoryID, ThisItem.ProductCategoryID);If(IsBlank(ThisItem.DiscontinuedDate),Set(varNullDiscDate,true));If(IsBlank(ThisItem.SellEndDate),Set(varNullSellEndDate,true))

Then on the Edit Form I have a formula in the DisplayMode for those cards. For instance, for the SellEndDate "DisplayMode" I have this formula:

If(varNullDiscDate,Disabled,Edit)

This turns the date field grey and disables it. Then in the card, right above the date control, I have an Edit icon (the pencil) which the user can click if they want to give a value for the field:

Set(varNullDiscDate,false)

and I have a little explanatory note explaining that the Pencil has to be clicked to provide a value for these NULL field. Then next to the Pencil icon I added the Cancel icon so if they decided to not add a value they can disable the Discontinued Date card again:

Set(varNullDiscDate,true)

The same method can be used with the New Form. Since the values for these two fields can be NULL and you don't want the default date to be input into the form so you have to disable them initially and have the user click the Pencil if they want to add a date. 

So not the solution we want, but it works until Microsoft fixes their NULL problem.

Hi @kbirstein1, the issue is that once you set a field to a value then there is no direct way from PowerApps to reset that field's value to null. I understand that you are addressing the issue of not setting the field in the first place, but that was always the case: if you didn't set a value for a field then it stayed null.
OCV8
Frequent Visitor

I find it so surprising that there is still no way to do this.  Seems like a very basic function and a fair number of posts requesting it for well over a year.

We just released a way to do this! Please take a look at this blog post and let us know what you think!

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/new-feature-error-handling-and-writing-null-values-to-dat...

tianaranjo
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I have a reporting app where users can submit the following:

• Ask a Question
  • Report an Issue
  • Make a Suggestion

When the admin changes the Status to 'Closed', they also select the date the item was closed from a datepicker.  That date is saved to SP.  My issue is, if the item is re-opened or Status changed back to 'In Progress' for some reason, I cannot get the SP list column to revert back to a null or blank value. Within the app, I clear the date in the datepicker to not show the Parent.Default date.  However, when I save the edited record, it keeps the date from the original DateClosed selection.  Is it possible to, upon change from 'Closed' to 'In Progress', have a blank or Null value saved back to SharePoint?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,305)