cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Add New Item Dropdown List

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble implementing adding items to a dropdown list and hoping you guys could help. I have a dropdown box that is connected to a Sharepoint list (ListA) and I would like the dropdown to have the option to add a new item (e.g a new project). Also, the new item will be updated into the SharePoint list if is selected.

Thank you in advance 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
KChristoph
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hey @Anonymous, 
i think the easiest way might be to use a Edit Form to add a new Item to your list, then by submitting the form refresh also your ListA and afterwards select the new project in the dropdown..or am i thinking wrong? Needs te dropdown to have the ability to add new items?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @KChristoph ,

thank you for your quick reply! Yes, my goal is to let the dropdown have the ability to add new items.

Phydax
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm currently working on an app where I do something similar. 

I have a combobox on a SP List, the point was also to have the possibility to add an item(here a company) and to immediately select it in my combobox.

First I set the DefaultSelectedItems of the combobox to a context variable called "newCompanyAdded"

Then, below the combobox i added an input field and a "add company button". On select, the button adds a company to the SP list, refresh the combobox's datasource, and set the value of newCompanyAdded to the newly created company. (see screenshots)

I dont know if it's a good solution since I'm quiete new to powerapps myself but it works fine for me!

Hope I could help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Phydax ,

thank you for your ideas, but unfortunately, I don't have an option to use a combo box.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (3,131)