cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AhmadRaza
Frequent Visitor

Add a new column to the sharepoint list from powerapps

Hi,
i want to add a new column to the sharepoint list from powerapps. could you tell me how i can do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@AhmadRaza 

There are connectors for PowerAutomate that will create columns, but they are designed for admin functions.  Your problem that you will have is that PowerApps does not reevaluate the datasource schema every time it runs in such a way that you would ever be able to use them in your app.

You are much better off creating a parent/child related list.  Then you will never be constrained by columns.

Example...

Primary list:

{ID,  Title}

Child list:

{ID, Title, ParentID}

Then instead of trying to store as columns, you will store as rows in the child list with the reference to the primary list ID as the ParentID.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@AhmadRaza 

You cannot add columns to your lists or change them from PowerApps.  This would cause issues with the schemas used in the app itself.

Is there a use case for what you are trying?

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

AhmadRaza
Frequent Visitor

Hi @RandyHayes 
I have a sharepoint list and i want to create an app to collect records from users but the records could be "n" number of columns. so they cannot be from sharepoint there should be a option to edit/modify/create new list columns. could you tell me any method how it can be possible like using power automate or something else?

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@AhmadRaza 

There are connectors for PowerAutomate that will create columns, but they are designed for admin functions.  Your problem that you will have is that PowerApps does not reevaluate the datasource schema every time it runs in such a way that you would ever be able to use them in your app.

You are much better off creating a parent/child related list.  Then you will never be constrained by columns.

Example...

Primary list:

{ID,  Title}

Child list:

{ID, Title, ParentID}

Then instead of trying to store as columns, you will store as rows in the child list with the reference to the primary list ID as the ParentID.

View solution in original post

@RandyHayes 
Seems to be Good. Let me try this then i will tell you

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@AhmadRaza 

Very good.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power Apps Community Call Jan. 2022 768x460.png

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, January 19th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,432)