Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iantaylor2050
Helper IV
Helper IV

Add new term in termstore - Managed metadata column SharePoint

Hi All,

I need to add a new term in my termstore in SharePoint managed metadata column named Tags. To add a new term named CustomTag, I am using the below formula OnSuccess of my powerapps newform.

Tag.PNG

Patch(
'SPList',
NewForm.LastSubmit,
{
Tags: {
'@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedTaxonomy",
TermGuid: DataCardValue10.Selected.TermGuid,
WssId: DataCardValue10.Selected.WssId,
Label: DataCardValue10.Selected.Label,
Path: DataCardValue10.Selected.Path,
Value: DataCardValue10.SearchText
}
}
);

However, the keyed-in value "CustomTag" doesn't gets saved into SharePoint column named Tags. I even tried Value: DataCardValue10.Selected.Value. This also doesn't works.

Any inputs on how to achieve this in Powerapps ?

6 REPLIES 6
Iantaylor2050
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi All,

Can please provide any technical advice on above query on how to proceed further ? Thanks.

Iantaylor2050
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi All,

Is this technically feasible to add new term in termstore as indicated in above formula ?

Hi @v-jefferni , @PowerAddict @eka24 ,

Could you please advise if its technically feasible to add new term via Powerapps using above formula. Thanks.

Hi @Iantaylor2050 ,

If you would like to add new items/records to a SP list and create an item in another list with column LookUp to it, you would not be able to achieve that need in one formula.

It is doable through individual formulas that one formula first add new items/record to the list then another formula create new item in which the LookUp column to look up new added items.

In your case, you are submitting the form firstly then update the tag which is typed in as search text, it's the wrong order.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Hi @v-jefferni ,

There is no lookup column in my SharePoint list. I only have managed metadata column named Tags. Also, I have only 1 SharePoint list. Please find the below screenshots. 

1.PNG

Below is the Powerapps Newform, which shows my managed metadata column Tags as combobox. There are 2 ways to add the value in Managed metadata column.

2.PNG

1. Add the custom tag value in combobox searchtext area and that should get saved into SharePoint list using below formula

Patch(
'SPList',
NewForm.LastSubmit,
{
Tags: {
'@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedTaxonomy",
TermGuid: DataCardValue10.Selected.TermGuid,
WssId: DataCardValue10.Selected.WssId,
Label: DataCardValue10.Selected.Label,
Path: DataCardValue10.Selected.Path,
Value: DataCardValue10.SearchText
}
}
);

2. Select any of the tag from dropdown and that should get saved into SharePoint list. This is working fine.

Please help me out if there's any error in above syntax to save the tag value into SharePoint.

Hi @Iantaylor2050 ,

Add new terms to SharePoint Managed metadata column in PowerApps is not supported currently.

If you would like this feature be added, there is an idea in the Idea Forum saying a similar scenario, if you like it you could vote for it:

Allow to add new terms to the Managed Metadata col... - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,149)