Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Adding metadata to an attachment on a powerapps form

Hi

Can I add metadata to an attachment on a powerapps form ?

if I can, when the attachment is copied to a SharePoint list, probably using flow, does the metadata go with it (assuming there are suitable site columns in the content type) ?

thanks

Nigel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Adding metadata to an attachment on a powerapps form

Hi @NigelP,

I think you cannot add metadata to a list attachment even from SharePoint site, so I do not think you can achieve it using PowerApps. 

A workaround is that you can upload the files to a document library instead, and then establish a relationship with the original list items via a lookup column, or a hyperlink column.

That way, you can still relate your documents to your original list items, but you'll also be able to attach things like keywords, categories, etc. to your documents. And then, you will be able to set the values of your managed metadata columns (sometimes also called taxonomy columns) in PowerApps (for both multi-value and single value) and in Flow (single value for now, but multi-value coming soon...).

For your reference:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Flow/Set-values-for-Managed-Metadata-aka-Taxonomy-c...

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Adding metadata to an attachment on a powerapps form

Hi @NigelP,

I think you cannot add metadata to a list attachment even from SharePoint site, so I do not think you can achieve it using PowerApps. 

A workaround is that you can upload the files to a document library instead, and then establish a relationship with the original list items via a lookup column, or a hyperlink column.

That way, you can still relate your documents to your original list items, but you'll also be able to attach things like keywords, categories, etc. to your documents. And then, you will be able to set the values of your managed metadata columns (sometimes also called taxonomy columns) in PowerApps (for both multi-value and single value) and in Flow (single value for now, but multi-value coming soon...).

For your reference:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Flow/Set-values-for-Managed-Metadata-aka-Taxonomy-c...

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,600)