cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simms7400
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Advice on redesign, switching from MS Access to......SQL? Something else?

Hi Folks -

I am reaching out to get some advice on a redesign considerations.  Allow me to provide some background. 

We currently have a PowerApps application that uses SharePoint Lists as the Data Sources.  We chose this method because SharePoint integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Access Database as we perform quite a bit of transformation on the SharePoint List content by using VBA and Queries.   Unfortunately, MS Access is not considered an "Enterprise" tool and my client is asking me what are our other options in-lieu of MS Access and potentially SharePoint?

I know PowerApps can integration with Microsoft SQL as well as Oracle SQL Developer.  Are there other "Enterprise" platforms that are better?  If SQL, would I loose any functionality? I also understand there are license considerations when using SQL as well. 

I'm just trying to understand the best solution.  If MS Access & SharePoint are in fact viable solutions and there really is not need or benefit from switching - other than not being "Enterprise" - I can certainly make a strong case to keep it. 

Any advise and/or considerations are greatly appreciated - thank you, all! 

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @simms7400 ,

I will throw in my opinion from the experience working with a large SharePoint-based Power Apps facility. You are correct with the licence cost issue (although obviously SQL is more powerful), but as far as functionality outside Power Apps, we use SharePoint Views extensively as well as the user-initiated Excel exports. My users would be lost if they could not basically construct their own views and export their own reports.

I also use Access for "quality control" and some more involved reporting as it can run some quite complex SQL queries directly on data of any size without any Delegation issues.

I hope this helps

@WarrenBelz   Thank you Warren!  This is very helpful!  So based on your comment, it sounds like even though Ms Access isn't "Enterprise", it servers its purpose very well and there really is not a need to move to a more robust platform like SQL.  Additionally, the user experiencing aspect would be non existent as well in terms of creating their own views and using excel. 

I also have been reading there are quite a few limitions with SQL based. While the processing is powerful, there is some PowerApps and Workflow functionality that does not work when levergin SQL as a source which is a downfall. 

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,661)