cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aesthetics of power apps. What is possible?

Hi Power users,

Please I would like to understand how much design can be done on powerapps. Is it possible to replicate some of Google's Material Design principles?

I tried importing shapes, but there is no feature (To the best of my knowledge) that allows that. Is it possible to do this?

I want to create an app but I need it to look beautiful like a normal app, to enable people receive it well and enjoy using it.

Also Powerapps loads pretty slowly on mobile, is there a way to optimise the experience?

Finally, what is the possiblity of creating a responsive app in terms of feedback and having users earn points based on participation on the app?

Thank you.

Aj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mr-dang
Level 10

Re: Aesthetics of power apps. What is possible?

Thanks for mentioning Google's Material Design principles--I googled it and now I have good reading material to fill my time.

For shapes, I haven't come across a way to import shapes--I presume you want a vector and not just a PNG or JPEG of a shape. This tutorial about using scalable vector graphics (SVG) caught my attention and I implemented it in my own app.

I agree that PA is slow on mobile. The iPad app is much slower than the browser experience. It's odd because iPads can generally handle a lot more.

And regarding responsive apps, you can create a CDS entity of users and their points. Set a Button to log the points for each interaction. I teach a classroom of kids and we use PowerApps for "online banking." I presume you could work the same for other contexts. I asked an artist if I could use his sprites as avatars.2017-02-03.png

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mr-dang
Level 10

Thanks for mentioning Google's Material Design principles--I googled it and now I have good reading material to fill my time.

For shapes, I haven't come across a way to import shapes--I presume you want a vector and not just a PNG or JPEG of a shape. This tutorial about using scalable vector graphics (SVG) caught my attention and I implemented it in my own app.

I agree that PA is slow on mobile. The iPad app is much slower than the browser experience. It's odd because iPads can generally handle a lot more.

And regarding responsive apps, you can create a CDS entity of users and their points. Set a Button to log the points for each interaction. I teach a classroom of kids and we use PowerApps for "online banking." I presume you could work the same for other contexts. I asked an artist if I could use his sprites as avatars.2017-02-03.png

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you MR Dang for your reponse. It does seem like a very complex solution. Almost too complex for what I would like. Thanks for sharing all the same. and all the best with your Material Design Reading, it's awesome material.

mr-dang
Level 10

Hi again,

I previously responded to you before I knew that PowerApps was putting on a Creative Design Challenge. There's some creative solutions others have made for animating bar graphs, drop shadow, and progress bars:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23artsypowerapper&src=typd

Audrie's project

I added my submission with a work-around for fade-to-black as well. It's worth a look so you can borrow ideas.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,561)