cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Allow an App to use different sources based on a param passed to it?

I don't know if the Subject describes what I need properly.

I have an Stand Alone Canvas App that connects to a SharePoint Subsite for a department. This site has gotten some traction lately and another department wants the same thing - This does make sense, and isn't a ridiculous ask.

Copying the SharePoint site is easy, and done already. However, the Apps within the site now all point to the original departments site.

The way I see it, I have two options, one preferable, and one I would like to avoid:

1- [Preferable] Have the same app service both SharePoint sites and use a Parameter in the link that loads it to tell the App which lists to use.
2- [Avoid] Have a separate app on both SharePoint sites, and develop and manage them separately.

The reason I want option 1, as I kind of mentioned in point 2, is I can keep both Sites with the latest version of the App while only having to work on one app. This means that if there is a bug noticed from one site, I can repair it before the other site notices, or if a feature is added, both get it.

How I expect this to work:
Have a param used to set a variable when the App loads. Use this variable to define the list to lookup. Edit EVERY item in the App to handle this change, including all the nested IF statements and LookUp fields. Massive undertaking, and time consuming.

How I would like it to work:
Have a way to specify "ListA" and use the Param to define what site ListA is on.

I know that building properties cannot yet be done by using variables, but is there any way to do what I am asking with some aspect of PowerApps that I haven't thought of yet? Components or something? (Components confuse me at this point, but I will learn it eventually, and right now if it solves my problem)
I would rather put the time in now to have the app available across sites, then have to put the time in anyway to get it working with these three, and then a third site join in too. The amount of work needed will increase exponentially for each added site.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: Allow an App to use different sources based on a param passed to it?

Unfortunately the sites used in the connection are hard coded, so I don't see any way to really do Option #1.  You could get the same effect I guess by adding the connector twice  and use a parameter to decide what data source to use.  But that will only work til you get a 3 department asking.  I think you are going to have to go with #2.  But you should be able to save a copy of the app and swap out the connection for the other site to accommodate the second department.  That way you won't have to re-write the whole thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Unfortunately the sites used in the connection are hard coded, so I don't see any way to really do Option #1.  You could get the same effect I guess by adding the connector twice  and use a parameter to decide what data source to use.  But that will only work til you get a 3 department asking.  I think you are going to have to go with #2.  But you should be able to save a copy of the app and swap out the connection for the other site to accommodate the second department.  That way you won't have to re-write the whole thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I was really hoping that someone else would chime in and say there was a way. Doesn't look like it.

Thank you though. Confirming the worst is still better than always wondering if there could have been another way. Cheers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,387)