cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kristinegriba
Advocate I
Advocate I

App Built Using Dataverse vs. Sharepoint

I've built a couple of basic apps using Sharepoint lists and document libraries, and that experience has for the most part gone well. I've now learned that I have the Dataverse available to me, and so I am giving that a try to build an app using a table from the Dataverse... I built my own custom table following various tutorials, and so far so good.

My question: I am coming to the conclusion that the same controls are NOT available in an app one builds using a table from the Dataverse versus an app one builds from Sharepoint—would this be correct? Specifically, I'm thinking of radio buttons and checkboxes, for example, even when there is a yes/no column in the table, it is expressed as a drop down in the app.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this for me? Whenever I search the internet on this topic, search results tend to comeback assuming I'm looking for help on building an app based on Sharepoint.

Thank you in advance,

Kristine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Threepointz
Frequent Visitor

I'm just going to guess that you're being affected by the recent upgrade to the modern application design experience and the deprecation of the methods you've been using.  If you're developing Dataverse apps in Teams, the old methods are not available by default.  You can enable them by changing a setting somewhere (something like use legacy controls or similar (sorry, I don't remember the exact terminology) but you're better off learning the new design methods since they will be supported later.  You may also have to do a deeper dive into the controls to see how to adapt them to look like other controls, like dropdowns are no longer supported, but can be simulated by changing some of the settings in the combo box control, for example.  Try looking for "Use Fluent UI Controls" to see if that answers your questions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Threepointz
Frequent Visitor

I'm just going to guess that you're being affected by the recent upgrade to the modern application design experience and the deprecation of the methods you've been using.  If you're developing Dataverse apps in Teams, the old methods are not available by default.  You can enable them by changing a setting somewhere (something like use legacy controls or similar (sorry, I don't remember the exact terminology) but you're better off learning the new design methods since they will be supported later.  You may also have to do a deeper dive into the controls to see how to adapt them to look like other controls, like dropdowns are no longer supported, but can be simulated by changing some of the settings in the combo box control, for example.  Try looking for "Use Fluent UI Controls" to see if that answers your questions.

@Threepointz Thanks for the reply, and food for thought, for sure. I am probably too new to the Dataverse thing to be able to properly comment on the "recent upgrade to the modern application design experience," but I did search for "Use Fluent UI Controls" and now I think my mind is exploding LOL.

I take your point on not looking back and that I'd be better off learning the new design methods; I'm new enough to not really know what I was missing, I suspect, anyway.

At any rate, your reply does provide me with some guidance and has educated me, so thank you for that!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Check out the New Ideas Site

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,215)