Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
esbomba
Regular Visitor

App help

Hi,  

I don't know if anyone can help me or direct me a site that can help me do this, I would appreciate both.  

I am trying to make an app for my company to filter our plant selection.   I made a mock up of the basic function I am supposed to shoot for and attached it.   Basically I want three or four pages where I can filter or narrow down the our inventory until we get to the last page where it gives the result of those filters.  Basically we want it to do what we can from an excell sheet in app form.    

It would be nice if the last page was pictures with plant info next to it.  

I can input the basic data into the powerapp but I don't know how to filter each page and have those results carry over to the next page until you get to the last result page.  

If anyone has any ideas where I can look I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Anna

By the way I will also attach some of the data i need to use from the excel sheet.SAMPLE APP.jpgbasic idea of app flow

9 REPLIES 9
Super User
Super User

Re: App help

Hey @esbomba, sounds like a great app idea!

You could probably make good use of the Set function, which stores a global variable which can be used from any screen in the app, and then have the gallery of plants filtered by the various things stored in these global variables. It is pretty easy to use Set as it takes two items, the name you want to give what you are storing and the information you want to store. So if the label that showed the max height the user selected in your first screen was called MaxHeightLabel, the function might look like this:

Set(MaxHeightInput, Value(MaxHeightLabel.Text))

Note the Value wrapped around the MaxHeightLabel.Text; it makes text into numbers. You would simply put each of these Set functions for the respective screen in the OnSelect field of the checkmark icon on that screen. 

Then, to filter the final screen (or to filter the screens as you progress in selecting traits), you would include each of those global variables in a Filter function that is placed in the Items section of the gallery showing the plants. So, if your Excel table with the plant information was titled PlantTable, you would put something like this in the Items field of the said gallery:

Filter(
     PlantTable,
     'HM Height Max' <= MaxHeightInput,
     'WM Width Max' <= MaxWidthInput,
)

The "..." represents the other filter statements you may put in. 

How the filters are written depends a lot on how your data source is structured but from looking at your example data you seem to have it pretty well figured out and may just need to try a couple things to find the right filters to get where you need to be.

Now, for the pictures, I don't know too much of how you do that within Excel, but I am sure there is a way to do it. I don't know if you can store them in the Excel document or if you would need to use storage like OneDrive to store and reference them from. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge on that will chime in with some help! I did find this thread which sounds like a separate storage is needed.

As far as places to look for information and help, this site is a really great one. There are lots of people willing to share what they know to help others out and the forum team is great in that regard as well. Searching YouTube for PowerApps videos can also be very helpful.

Hopefully, that helps a little bit! If I can explain anything about what I put here or you need help with any specific parts, I will be glad to check in on this topic as I am able.

esbomba
Regular Visitor

Wow!!  Thank you for quick reply.  I will try this out and see if it will work for me.  I will let you know my progress.

Thanks 🙂  

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @esbomba,

Have you solved your problem?

Do you want to filter your plant selection through three or forth pages, and then display the filtered result within the last page using Gallery control?

You could consider take a try to save your Excel table data source as a Collection when your app is started up, and then filter this Collection based on filter conditions within each page (except the last page), finally, within the last page, display the filtered result/collection within Gallery control.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:2.JPG

1.JPG

Set the OnVisible property or OnStart property of the first screen of your app to following formula:

ClearCollect(PlantCollection,YourExcelTableDatasource)

Within the First screen (page), set the OnSelect property of the "Navigate" button to following formula:

ClearCollect(
PlantCollection,
Filter(
PlantCollection,
"HM Height Max"<=HeightMax.Text,
"WM Width Max"<=WidthMax.Text
)
);
Navigate(Screen2,ScreenTransition.Cover)

Within the Second screen (page), set the OnSelect property of the "Navigate" button to following formula:

ClearCollect(
PlantCollection,
Filter(
PlantCollection,
"Tolerates"=Radio1.Selected.Value,
)
);
Navigate(Screen2,ScreenTransition.Cover)

Within the Last Screen (page), add a Gallery control, set the Items property of the Gallery control to following:

PlantCollection

More details about the ClearCollect function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

ClearCollect function

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
esbomba
Regular Visitor

Thanks Kris,  

I have been working through the solution wyotim provided.  I am a beginner with powerapps so I have been having to review a lot of what was suggested.  

I will try your solution as well.  

I am hoping to spend this weekend working on it,  so by chance I might be able to leave an update on how these suggestions worked out.  

I am really grateful for your suggestions.  I am trully amazed at how helpful people are on these forums.

Thanks

esbomba
Regular Visitor

Just reviewed  your suggestion quickly and it looks really close to what I want to do.  I will definately try this.

Thanks 

esbomba
Regular Visitor

Hi,  

I am sorry to bother you, I tried following your instructions this weekend but I could not get it to work.  I know it is error on my part but I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I made a video of my self doing it.  I did the whole process just so you could see. 

I tried to solve myself because I don't want to take advantage of your generosity.

I feel like I am going insane, because I am doing the same thing over and over hoping for something different to happen.   

If you could give any pointers I would be really grateful. 

Here is the video link on youtube: 

https://youtu.be/m4cNA4udkO0

Thanks

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @esbomba,

Based on the vedio that you provided, I think there is something wrong with the formula within the OnSelect property of the "Navigate" button.

The "HM Height Max" and "WM Width Max" represent the columns within your PlantCollection as below:5.JPG

On your side, you should replace the "HM Height Max" and "WM Width Max" with corresponding column name in your PlantCollection .

If you want to display the filtered result within the Gallery control, please set the Items property to following:

PlantCollection 

More details about the Gallery control, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/add-gallery

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
TopShelf-MSFT Community Champion
Community Champion

@wyotim thank you for the great reply and for helping out the PowerApps Community!

@TopShelf-MSFT

Super User
Super User

@TopShelf-MSFTI am happy to help out! 

@esbombaI haven't checked in on this thread as much as I had intended. How is everything going? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,099)