cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

App help

Hi,

I have created an app for my construction company. This app allows my staff to create a new 'Project' (enter in job name, address etc) and then saves the job to the 'Dashboard'. Then on the Dashboard they can click an exisiting job and that brings them to a new screen that has a list of Phases throughout the job. E.G. Job start up, Demolition, Foundation etc. When they click on one of these phases, it switches to a new screen that has a list of tasks with check boxes. Here they can tick off tasks that they have completed. I want them to be able to save this information to each job so everyone can see the progress on each job site.

I am having issues with how to make this all work with data sources etc. I am using excel. I keep hitting brick walls though with recording new information for new projects. I have created each screen that I need but connecting it to all save is the problem I am facing.

Any advise would be wonderful! Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Notcomputersavy 

First off, I don't know the size and scope of your organization, but having worked many apps in that industry, I know those lists can get big quickly and with a lot of people interacting.  

The reason I mention that is, Excel might become a bottleneck to you.  Keep in mind when you use PowerApps with Excel, Excel should really be viewed only as a database, no longer as an interactive spreadsheet.

So...you might want to consider at least moving up to SharePoint now before you grow it too big to deal with in Excel.

Just a bit of advice. 

Now...on to your post - Can you share some of the specific issues you are having.  Are you running into errors you don't understand, or just stuck on certain things?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!
Highlighted

@RandyHayes 

Thank you for the information. I am just having one login for my entire staff (to keep costs down).

When I create a new 'Project' and enter in the details etc about the job, I want that to save to the dashboard so I can access it at a later date. 

Then if I select it on the dashboard at a later date, I want it to bring me to a list of 'Phases'. Then if I click on a 'Phase' it brings me to a new screen that has a checklist. I want to be able to tick off 'Tasks' and have it save to that 'Project name'. I am unsure how to do that with Excel etc.

Right now, I have my check boxes but when I go into the 'Play' mode, it is not saving the information for each 'Project' separately. It is just keeping the ticks in the boxes regardless if I click 'Project 1' or 'Project 2'. 

Highlighted

@Notcomputersavy 

Yeah...you're going to need to be more specific on an issue and provide some formulas, screenshots, etc. to go by.

I understand in general what you are saying, but without seeing anything, it is hard to pinpoint where you are having a problem.

So, what kind of formulas do you have that you feel aren't working or you are stuck on?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted

That's the issue, I do not have any formulas.

I just want the data to save to each job. 

Highlighted

@Notcomputersavy 

Ah yes, then you will definitely need to get some formulas in your controls and tie them to the proper data.

If you are not familiar with these things, I'd highly recommend going through some of the sample apps in PowerApps.  Most all of them use Excel as a datasource and they will have lots of things to look at.  I'd pick some simple ones to keep from getting overloaded.

BUT...in general, you're going to need to connect to your data, put in some formulas for controls in some places, and then deal with issues along the way.

If you've not viewed videos and other training materials on PowerApps, I'd highly recommend doing that also. 

Highlighted

@RandyHayes 

Thank you for the advise! 

Highlighted

@Notcomputersavy 

No problem at all.  Please keep at it and learn it - you'll find it very valuable.

And, as always, if you get stuck on a particular (and specific) area - post here often.  Lot's of good minds on this forum to help out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,955)