cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

App who update Excel data without sharing the excel file with users

Dear all, 

I was wondering if someone here could help me with this issue.

I have done an application using powerApp, where users should enter information (name, number of kids etc.). The App is linked to an excel file where the data are automatically added.

When I try to share the app, Users can not use it without having access to the excel file. The thing is that I do not want the users having access to the excel file, as I do not want them to see the data from other users.

So, I was wondering if there is a way to share an App with users where the information that they will provide will be updated on an excel file accessible only for me?

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Florence_M 

To clarify the answer to this, it is unfortunately not possible to protect an Excel data source in the way that you require. There is no way to work around for this.

If you want to restrict users to seeing only their own data at a data source level, the only way to achieve this is to use a different data source, such as the CDS or SharePoint. With SharePoint, you can apply this rule thorugh the "item level permissions" settings.

timl_0-1603536560696.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III
Super User III

Kindly read these:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app-data

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Thank you for the link.

I have seen it already but the thing is that here you need to share the Excel file with the users and what I'm looking at is a way to not give this access to the users.

Maybe this is not possible to do it.

Thank you anyway 😃

Super User III
Super User III

I think you have to be clearer.

Do you want to prevent user seeing other people data but their own?

Or don't want them to see any record at all but can update record.

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Yes, sorry.

I would like prevent user seeing other people data but their own.

I will try to give more background:

- In my OneDrive I have created an excel file with a table containing different columns: Name, Age, # of kids.

- In Powerapp I have created an app that used this excel file to ask to users to fill their information

- When I'm using it on my own computer with my own session this is working perfectly, meaning that I enter information in the app that are then added to the excel file.

- What I would like now is to share the app with users to allow them to fill their information and that these information will be then added to my excel file.

- What I understood is that to do this I need to share also with the users the Excel file. But if I do this then they could open the excel file and also see the data that other users entered.

But maybe I did not get it and there is an other easy way to have an update of the excel file without having to share it.

I hope this is clearer.

I think is clear.

If you want users only to their own records, you must have a column that contain either their username or mail address.

Assuming you have usernamecolumn, filter the Gallery on the Items property as;

If(User().FullName ="YourName",

YourTable, 

Filter(YourTable,usernamecolumn = User(). FullName))

------------

Hi @Florence_M 

To clarify the answer to this, it is unfortunately not possible to protect an Excel data source in the way that you require. There is no way to work around for this.

If you want to restrict users to seeing only their own data at a data source level, the only way to achieve this is to use a different data source, such as the CDS or SharePoint. With SharePoint, you can apply this rule thorugh the "item level permissions" settings.

timl_0-1603536560696.png

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Mark your calendars and join us for the next Power Apps Community Call on January 20th, 8a PST

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,798)