Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allyb123
Helper III
Helper III

Append custom filed value to drop down selected value

Team,

I would like to append a custom field(No of hours) with drop-down selected value while submitting the form. For Example, in the screenshot below, I would like to capture "Understanding the process flow - 2.5 hours" in the SharePoint. Please help.

allyb123_0-1665053027551.png

Regards,

Alwin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@allyb123 

If Plan is a Choice column in SharePoint behind the scenes, I believe you cannot do that actually, you'll need to create a new Text column in SharePoint or else you probably won't be able to do this.

If it's a Text field, you may be able to do it by changing the Update property of the Plan Data Card and just append this to the end of what's already there

& " - " HoursDataCard.Value 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@allyb123 

Put a new hidden custom DataCard, to hide it, for the Visible property use

false

for the Update property of this new hidden DataCard, you can put

TitleDataCard.Value & " - " HoursDataCard.Value 

For the DataField property put name of the column that you want to capture it in SharePoint.

See if it helps @allyb123 

Thanks for checking @poweractivate .

I am sorry to ask you a basic question.  When I add a custom datacard I don't see the Update Property. Please help.

allyb123_0-1665054417958.png

Regards,
Alwin

@allyb123 

Let's remove the custom Datacard.

Instead, 1. select the Form, 2. click Edit Fields at the top and 3. click Add Field.

poweractivate_1-1665054722955.png

and then 4. Select the SharePoint Field you want from the list of fields so the box is checked and 5. Click Add

poweractivate_0-1665054861453.png

Now just edit that generated datacard

6. for the Update property of this new hidden DataCard, you can put

TitleDataCard.Value & " - " HoursDataCard.Value 

6b. You may want to use the above formula for the Default property of this Data Card as well.

7. for the DataField property, leave it alone - it's automatically correct now due to the first 5 steps.

8. If you want, put Visible to false and then resize the control so it's very small and not interactable by mistake to cover up other Data Cards, and move it off to the side somewhere - also send it to the very back as well in case in the tree view if you want so it can't be interacted with even if it's accidentally on top of another Data Card.

see if this works better @allyb123 

I already brought all the required fields to the edit form. The Plan dropdown is the one for the Plan field in the SharePoint which I  would like to update along with the No of hours value.

allyb123_0-1665055426370.png

@allyb123 

If Plan is a Choice column in SharePoint behind the scenes, I believe you cannot do that actually, you'll need to create a new Text column in SharePoint or else you probably won't be able to do this.

If it's a Text field, you may be able to do it by changing the Update property of the Plan Data Card and just append this to the end of what's already there

& " - " HoursDataCard.Value 

Thanks, @poweractivate . That's what I am planning to do. Appreciate your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,668)