cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Appending item to Collection generated from DISTINCT

I want to append an item to a collection that was created using DISTINCT?

ClearCollect(EmployeeList,Distinct(FeatureAccess,EmployeeName));

I want to append "All" to the top of the dropdown list that uses EmployeeList as Items property.

Thank you in advance.:)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Yes! I got !

ClearCollect(BCategory, {Result:"All"});Collect(BCategory,Distinct('WPE Budget Category',BudgetCategory))

The above line prepended "All" since I added/tricked the "All" entry to be part of "Result". Not a clean solution but does the job for me.

Collection2.PNGDropdown2.PNG

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi ManishM,

Let me confirm that I understand the problem. You created a collection using ClearCollect(EmployeeList, Distinct(FeatureAccess,EmployeeName)); and now you want to prepend "All" to the top of the list? ClearCollect lets you specify multiple items to add to the list (in order). So, I would recommend you replace your existing ClearCollect with this, if I understand the problem correctly: 

ClearCollect(EmployeeList, "All", Distinct(FeatureAccess,EmployeeName));

This will clear EmployeeList, then add "All" to it, then add the Distinct() result.

Hope that helps!

- Paul C.
Software Engineer on PowerApps
Highlighted

Thanks for your response. Your solution did not work for me. The Dropdown list shows 2 empty entries when the collection name is used:

Empty dropdown.PNG

When I use .Value property it gives me "All" but does not give me the employee names

AllObjDropdown.PNG

Here is the screenshot from File->Collection:

Collection.PNG

Many thanks for helping me on this.

Additionally, how should I go about to append an item to a collection without "clearcollect" it and rebuild it?

Thanks

Highlighted

Oh, sorry about that! I see what the problem is. It's adding the list EmployeeName as one item. Apparently, ClearCollect() and Collect() are smart enough to infer that it needs to add an item for each item in EmployeeName as long as it is the only thing being added. As soon as you give it two things to add, it simply treats each as items without inferring anything.

Anyway, the solution is a little odd looking, but very simple:

ClearCollect(EmployeeList, "All"); Collect(Distinct(FeatureAccess, EmployeeName))

Now "All" will be added and then the Collect will realize that we are giving it a list of items to add, and it will each one separately.

- Paul C.
Software Engineer on PowerApps
Highlighted

Apologies for the delay in responding. Your approach prepended "All" but also added blanks equal to Distinct list count. Below are  the screen shots. In the Collection screenshot, notice the 2 ways it is holding the info - Values and Results. "All" is in values and rest is in Results. I understand the difference but need to merge the 2. Thanks

Dropdown.PNG

Collection1.PNG

Highlighted

Yes! I got !

ClearCollect(BCategory, {Result:"All"});Collect(BCategory,Distinct('WPE Budget Category',BudgetCategory))

The above line prepended "All" since I added/tricked the "All" entry to be part of "Result". Not a clean solution but does the job for me.

Collection2.PNGDropdown2.PNG

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I think you can clean it up a bit like this:

ClearCollect({Result:"All"}, Distinct('WPE Budget Category',BudgetCategory))

I never tried this way but curious what will be the name of the collection in this case?

Highlighted

You're correct, the code is missing the collection name! Sorry about that...

The first argument is the collection name, then you can have multiple items seperated by commas.

ClearCollect( Collection, Item, ... )

• Collection – Required. The collection that you want to clear and then add data to.
  • Item(s) - Required. One or more records or tables to add to the data source.

ClearCollect(BCategory, {Result: "All"}, Distinct('WPE Budget Category',BudgetCategory))

Highlighted

Just tried and it works! Thanks for refining the code.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,749)