cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wcoetsee
Regular Visitor

Are solutions independent of each other and does changing the dataverse change all solutions?

Hi All,

I am new to the power platform after first working with Power BI, and I am busy integrating Dynamics Sales app into our business processes. I am having some trouble understanding the relationship between solutions and the dataverse.

I follow that solutions are used in ALM, can be exported to other environments, and if I understand correctly there is one dataverse per environment so solutions will share the environment's dataverse.

Where I am getting stuck is when making changes to an app (adding entities, changing display names, customising forms/views etc.) should it be done in a solution or the dataverse, and why?

That is if a solution sits on top of the dataverse, will changing a column name in the dataverse make the change across all solutions? and the opposite if making a change in the solution does the dataverse change and will other solutions be affected?

I think all apps will use the same dataverse, but may only have certain entities of the dataverse. Then are solutions like different versions of the dataverse and components or the same dataverse but different components.

Thanks for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StalinPonnusamy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Q1: To clarify - changes to components in a solution will effect all solutions that contain those components? and would this also be the case when making changes to components of the dataverse outside of a solution, would then also effect solutions containing those components?

Ans: Yes, changes to components in a solution will affect all solutions that contain those components. And outside solution as well. Remember solution is just a reference (Container) pointer. This is for an unmanaged solution that is in a Dev environment.

Q2: I then have a question specifically about Dynamics 365 Sales Professional. If I understand it correctly I have installed a managed solution (Dynamics 365 Sales Professional) and I am unable to directly change components of a managed solution. We do however have the option to "Customize the System".

Ans: The managed solution is a package which we can't edit. You are editing the components in Dev using an unmanaged solution. Export as managed and import into TEST and Prod as managed. In this case, no one wants to update it in TEST and Prod directly. So we need to create an unmanaged solution on Dev, modify the component, and again export as managed.

Q3: Am I able to access the unmanaged solution for Dynamics 365 Sales Professional? So that I can continue to modify the components and add new components?

Ans: Yes, an Unmanaged solution is intended to edit anytime. It's in the Dev environment only.

Create a new solution (Default: Unmanaged), add only the components adding and modifying. Export as Managed into other environments.

I hope I answered all your questions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StalinPonnusamy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @wcoetsee 

A solution is just a container to package, maintain and distribute. Add all the changes (Tables and fields) to the solution, so that you can export and import to other environments.

Multiple solutions can hold the same tables. In other words, Each solution can reference multiple tables and other components.

For example, I have 2 solutions that contain the below components.

Solution A

Table 1

Field 1 and 2

Table 2

Field 10

Solution B

Table 1

Field 5

We can add the components to the Solution at a granular level.

Another example, When I get the requirement, I create a solution first and then

• add the existing component to make changes
  • Add new components

So in this solution, I have all components only to the specific requirement. So that I can export and import it in another environment.

Here is the good documentation for solution

Hi @StalinPonnusamy 

Thanks so much for replying. You really helped me tie up some loose ends, and thanks for the link to the documentation.

I extracted the below text from the doc you linked - "Because each unmanaged solution contains a reference to the shared group of solutions, changes you make to solution components in one solution are also applied for all unmanaged solutions that reference those solution components."

To clarify - changes to components in a solution will effect all solutions that contain those components? and would this also be the case when making changes to components of the dataverse outside of a solution, would then also effect solutions containing those components?

I then have a question specifically about Dynamics 365 Sales Professional. If I understand it correctly I have installed a managed solution (Dynamics 365 Sales Professional) and I am unable to directly change components of a managed solution. We do however have the option to "Customize the System".

Am I able to access the unmanaged solution for Dynamics 365 Sales Professional? So that I can continue to modify the components and add new components?
What are the shortcomings of using the "Customize the System" options?

Would it be better/best practice to develop a new solution based on the Dynamics 365 Sales Professional Solution if I want to customize the system?

Thanks again for your assitance.

StalinPonnusamy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Q1: To clarify - changes to components in a solution will effect all solutions that contain those components? and would this also be the case when making changes to components of the dataverse outside of a solution, would then also effect solutions containing those components?

Ans: Yes, changes to components in a solution will affect all solutions that contain those components. And outside solution as well. Remember solution is just a reference (Container) pointer. This is for an unmanaged solution that is in a Dev environment.

Q2: I then have a question specifically about Dynamics 365 Sales Professional. If I understand it correctly I have installed a managed solution (Dynamics 365 Sales Professional) and I am unable to directly change components of a managed solution. We do however have the option to "Customize the System".

Ans: The managed solution is a package which we can't edit. You are editing the components in Dev using an unmanaged solution. Export as managed and import into TEST and Prod as managed. In this case, no one wants to update it in TEST and Prod directly. So we need to create an unmanaged solution on Dev, modify the component, and again export as managed.

Q3: Am I able to access the unmanaged solution for Dynamics 365 Sales Professional? So that I can continue to modify the components and add new components?

Ans: Yes, an Unmanaged solution is intended to edit anytime. It's in the Dev environment only.

Create a new solution (Default: Unmanaged), add only the components adding and modifying. Export as Managed into other environments.

I hope I answered all your questions.

View solution in original post

wcoetsee
Regular Visitor

Thanks @StalinPonnusamy, you have been very helpful. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,965)