cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnjohn123
Super User
Super User

Are there any limitations when customizing a SharePoint list form using Power App comapred to building standalone Power App

I have been working on many projects to build standalone Power Apps, which the user can access from the Power Apps mobile application or embedded inside SharePoint modern pages. now i want to start my first project for customizing SharePoint list form using Power App.. so are there any limitations when customizing a SharePoint list form using Power App compared to building standalone Power App? or any thing i did inside standalone power app can be done when customizing SharePoint list form using Power Apps? such as accessing multiple SharePoint lists? defining Gallerias and Multiple forms? have multiple screens ? and so on?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @johnjohn123 ,

A large subject, but if you are going to do a complex multi-screen app, consider a canvas app rather than an integrated form. Some of the issues include the inbuilt SharePointIntegration (OnSave, OnEdit etc) do not generally work on more than one screen, it does not refresh well between selecting different records and is generally "clunkier" than a canvas app.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

cwebb365
Super User
Super User

Agree here. Not to mention mobile access and just accessing the apps in general is harder. I only utilize List form customization when I know they will be using SharePoint on the web only for using the list / library the customization will live on. I think if they ever made it where you can link apps to SharePoint New button etc. or vise versa it might change my approach but for now I leave it strictly to SharePoint Web access only. 

@cwebb365  Yes i know that accessing SharePoint list using SharePoint mobile app will not load the customized Power App form... but in our case we are not worrying too much about this as the system will be mainly accessed from PCs..

and as you mentioned the reason i need to customize the SharePoint list form rather than creating standalone app, is that i need the app to load when the users clicks on New, Edit or View links inside SharePoint UI..

@WarrenBelzactually i do not need to save data on multiple screens... what i am trying to achieve is defined in another question @ https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Can-i-build-tabs-and-subtabs-when-customizin... if you can have a look at it please...

so mainly the customized form will do these main functionalities:-

1) Add & Edit Master list item.

2) Show the related Child-1 & Child-2 items inside main tabs and sub tabs..

So is this something i can have inside Power App customized form? the only reason i need this to be a Power App customized form rather than a standalone app, is that i need the app to load when the users clicks on New, Edit or View links inside SharePoint UI..

cwebb365
Super User
Super User

You can pretty much do the same stuff with SharePoint app as you can stand alone. You just have to work with the integration layer. 

@johnjohn123 ,

You asked a broad question and I provided my opinion (which is gained through at times painful experience). What you are doing (as you have explained now) may well work for you in an integrated app and if you need to do it there, just be aware of the list of things that do not work as well as they do in canvas apps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,749)