cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghrimm
Advocate I
Advocate I

Attachments control: Get file properties/Restrict file type

Has anyone here been able to use the Attachments control and get a file's properties (ie. file name, file type)? Is there a way to restrict the file types a user can upload using the Attachments control in PowerApps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dinusc
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello @ghrimm,

Currently there's no way to prevent of attaching certain files by type. You can however check the file extensions of "attached" files, before those files are submitted to SharePoint. You could allow the user to attach any files but disable the "Submit" button if the user attached restricted files. 

Here is how to check the file extension of the first attached file: 

Last(Split(First(Attachments_Control.Attachments).Name, ".")).Result

You can use any enumerations (ForAll for example) to validate all the files this way.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
dinusc
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello @ghrimm,

Currently there's no way to prevent of attaching certain files by type. You can however check the file extensions of "attached" files, before those files are submitted to SharePoint. You could allow the user to attach any files but disable the "Submit" button if the user attached restricted files. 

Here is how to check the file extension of the first attached file: 

Last(Split(First(Attachments_Control.Attachments).Name, ".")).Result

You can use any enumerations (ForAll for example) to validate all the files this way.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the simple workaround. That returns exactly what I need for hiding/showing controls.

Would you be able to show an example with screenshots from the rule?

In my OnAddFile property, I have the following:

UpdateContext({IsADocx : Last(Split(First(dcv_Attachments.Attachments).Name, ".")).Result = "docx"})

KayBell
Regular Visitor

This works great for a single attached file, but doesn't work on multiple attachments.  Only works on first attachment.  Is there a way to check all attachments? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can check multiple attachments as you upload them one by one

Using the previous formula (but checking the last attachment, not the first) in the "OnAddFile" action field of the attachments card:

If(Last(Split(Last(DataCardValue15.Attachments).Name, ".")).Result = "xlsx",Set(VarContainsXLSX,true))

Will for example check if there are any excel documents uploaded and set a variable.

This won't detect if someone uploads an xlsx and then deletes it.

Thank you! This worked for me. I am using this to shorten the filename when passed to Flow. When users use the app on their phones and take pics of receipts, the filename is really large and cumbersome. So I am using this to make the file upload to the doc library more palatable.

Thank you so much!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (2,415)