Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vshah2
Helper I
Helper I

Authentication between Azure AD and Power Platform components

Hello,

I'm trying to understand If there is any authentication mechanism (EX OpenID Connect) between the AzureAD and Power Platform components (PowwerApps / Automate)? Can we create the service endpoint for Azure service like storage account and grant access to particular powerapp or automate? So whoever has access to that powerapp or automate they can have access to service endpoint. Please let me know if this is possible or not. Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @vshah2,

Power Apps and Power Automate uses Azure Active Directory / OIDC for authentication. The authenticated user will need to have an appropriate license to use PowerApps and Power Automate. 

A Power App needs to be shared with users, along with the underlying connections to the data sources that the app uses. Some of these will be implicitly shared, while others require each user to form their own connection when using the app for the first time. More information is available below. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app-resources

With Power Automate flows, the flows will always run using the connection that the author of the flow setup, regardless of who you share it with. Instant button flows are an exception where you can have it so the user connects using their credentials for certain connectors in a flow. More information is available at the reference below. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/create-team-flows#modify-a-connection

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,920)