Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparkymark75
Frequent Visitor

Authentication between cloud and on-premise

We have the following setup;

• Active Directory On-Premise
  • Azure AD (synchronized with the on-premise)
  • On-Premise Dynamics CRM 2011

I'm trying to create a Flow which connects to an on-premise CRM web service and return the results. Whenever this runs it fails with a BadGateway error.

When setting up the Connections, do we use HTTP with Azure AD. and If so, do we use Connect directly or Connect using on-premises gateway? We currently have it setup with the latter using our previously configured data gateway (which works as I've used it for Power BI).

If I try and use the Connect directly option, we get an error about the resource principal not being found in the tenant. Just seems like there are so many moving parts and so many differing configuration options with no clear path on how to do anything when you stray from the well documented all in the cloud setup.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
a-ovbord
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sparkymark75,

Unfortunately there is no simple solution to your setup.

Ideally you'd want to keep everything in the cloud, especially if you take into consideration latency issues between your on-prem data and the gateway you will have to setup which will be routed through a region designated data center (so even if it's installed on an on-prem server, it will be routed through a datacenter).

I'm including here a good article with best practices when it comes to creating apps:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-canvas-app-coding-standards-and-guidelines/

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Ovidiu

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
a-ovbord
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sparkymark75,

Unfortunately there is no simple solution to your setup.

Ideally you'd want to keep everything in the cloud, especially if you take into consideration latency issues between your on-prem data and the gateway you will have to setup which will be routed through a region designated data center (so even if it's installed on an on-prem server, it will be routed through a datacenter).

I'm including here a good article with best practices when it comes to creating apps:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-canvas-app-coding-standards-and-guidelines/

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Ovidiu

View solution in original post

Thanks. Sadly the answer I expected but didn't hope for.

So in summary; Power Apps is great if all your data sources are in the cloud. If you have anything on premise, you're going to struggle.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power Apps Community Call Jan. 2022 768x460.png

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, January 19th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,165)