cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rpowell
Frequent Visitor

Auto populate New form

I have created a Power App. That I would like to auto-populate selected fields when I submit new form.  I would like to remain on the form after the fields are auto-populated.

Currently, when I submit for a new form. The form is created and I can pass an ID value to the form. But, I must then submit the form, then re-edit the form for the LOOKUP function to fire and auto-populate my desire fields.

My desire is to remain on the form in edit mode. And have the fields auto-populate when I enter the ID value before I perform my final subit.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Auto populate New form

Hi @rpowell,

Sorry but I cannot say that I have fully understand your description. What is the data source of your Form? What did you mean by you first submit a new form, then you need to submit again? How did you submit a new form in the first step? And how did the app ask you to submit the form again in 2nd step? What LOOKUP function that you use on this Form? How would you like your fields to be auto-populated with?

If it's a SharePoint list connector, did you have any required columns? If so, you need to fill all the required fields in Form before submitting.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
rpowell
Frequent Visitor

Current behavior.

1. CREATE a new form based on a SQL table
  2. Form is now in EDIT mode. Enter a valid employee number.
  3. SUBMIT the new form. The employee number is saved to a SQL table and the new record is added.
  4. Now I EDIT the form. When I EDIT the form again. The values in my LOOKUP function fire (based on the employee number) and populate the desired fields from the SQL table.
  5. SUBMIT the form again, and the fields are to saved to a SQL table

Desire Behavior

1. CREATE a new form based on a SQL table
  2. Form is now in EDIT mode. Enter a valid employee number.
  3. While in still in EDIT mode. I would like my LOOKUP function to fire based on the employee number entered, populate the forms desired field.
  4. SUBMIT the form saving all values to my database table.

Summary

I would like to remain on the form in EDIT mode and have the LOOKUP function fire based on the employee number. Have the fields populate, then SUBMIT the form to save the data to the SQL table.

rpowell
Frequent Visitor

Screen.jpg

I am adding my screen shot for clarity.

When I create a NEW form. I want to the user to enter the EmployeeID and have the remaining fields populated from the datasource without leaving the form.

I know I can do this using the LOOKUP function in the default property in OnSelect. But, I must SUBMIT the form, then EDIT the form again. Then the LOOKUP function populates the fields from the datasource.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,887)