cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Azure Data Lake Gen2, Power Apps, and Power BI all need to be in the same region?

I haven't found a way to specify the region my Power Apps/CDS environment is in, or my Power BI environment, other than to set the country (US) and MS does the rest by picking a 'close' data center.  That said, in order to connect my Power Apps environment with Azure Data Lake, they need to be in the same specific US region, e.g. West, South Central, etc.  And in order to connect Power BI with Azure Data Lake, they too need to be in the same specific US region.  When creating the data lake you can specify the exact region so you either have to set it to the Power Apps region, or the Power BI region.  It seems like you're hosed if you don't have Power BI and Power Apps in the same region.  Can someone clear this up for me, or suggest how to handle the connectivity?  (e.g. replication?)

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Azure Data Lake Gen2, Power Apps, and Power BI all need to be in the same region?

Hello,

When you try to connect the Azure Data Lake to the Power Apps/Power BI Environment, and if they Data Lake does not belong to the specific region you are trying to connect it to, do you receive an error or what are you experiencing that is preventing the connection?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Azure Data Lake Gen2, Power Apps, and Power BI all need to be in the same region?

hey thanks for your reply.

When I try to connect from Power BI desktop I get a 404 telling me the container does not exist.  When I try to connect from Power Apps I get the red notification at the top telling me to "Please select a storage account from one of the following regions" and it lists the region of my Power Apps environment.  When researching this I learned that Power BI also has to be in the same region as the storage account, leading me to assume that the Power Apps, Azure Storage (data lake gen2), and Power BI all have to be in the same exact region for this to work.  My Power BI region is North Central, my Azure Storage was put in the same region as my Power Apps which is East.

Thanks again.  Hopefully you can help me make sense of this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,785)