Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vladimir84
Helper V
Helper V

[BUG] Code After SQL ClearCollect Executes First

Hello,

Briefly, a rectangle has a visibility set to loadingSpinner variable and when I am changing something in the dropdown, this is the OnChange:

Set( loadingSpinner, true);

ClearCollect(colCollection,SQLTable);

Set( loadingSpinner, false);

The problem is that the loadingSpinner gets to be true and false, while there are 3 dots still spinning because the data is being transferred/filtered/loaded from the SQL. 

Essentially, it's still showing the old data (not being cleared) when the loading spinner disappears. 

This is a problem in the certainty of the succession of the code - it's not following the order in which it was written!

I kindly ask attention to this matter.

12 REPLIES 12

Hi @RandyHayes ,

Thank you for sharing your experience, I can confirm that we are completely aligned and I have been experiencing the same issues. I should have a MS tech support meeting soon to explain this, hopefully at least there will be documented clarity on how things work. 

Honestly, like you mentioned, I have no idea what is hidden between the lines. I have a hunch that MVPs are getting a head-start, which if true is disloyal to the customers. This is based on the fact that there are many YouTube guides and consultant websites about features that in no way could have been figured out by anyone reading the official documentation. 

Once I read a suggestion here to disable a feature that was completely unrelated to the issue. And it worked. Explicit Column Selection - this feature has been unreliable in the past, e.g. one random Patch() failing to run at all when a particular SQL column was selected, and worked if it was excluded.  As for the Monitor, well, it helps a lot, but again not completely. 

While I appreciate the availability of MS - the process is slow, it takes days to get to the right layer of support, and sometimes more than a week for developers proper to troubleshoot it. It's not that I object to this, it's just that I have deadlines.

I also agree with you about the stability and limitations - we are using it for the business transformation, if the tools don't work, we can't do business.  And if I were to explain all the time that this doesn't work or having to fix things that previously worked, the principals would (and will) loose confidence in the technology. And I think that is something that is not being given enough attention by MS. 

While it's currently a nuisance, I fear these shortcomings will be exploited sooner or later. 

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@vladimir84 

Yes, it sounds like we are singing from the same music.  If you have channels for contact to higher levels at MS, I would certainly exploit them as much as possible.

My thought though on the choice of PowerApps for everything is that there are limits.  There just are some things that PowerApps is a slam-dunk on and others that you really want to use firm development to solve.  The good news is that PowerApps continues to grow and is covering more of that gap between the two, but the criticality of the solution always still needs to be evaluated.  

I do still believe that over time, the platform will advance.  I just have no sense of where that process is and we are all subject to the surprises that pop up and then chasing down blogs or other notices from MS to explain them.  However, I do also feel that MS's documentation (for all things) has been weak.  They have always (or for a long time at least) relied on the community to interact to share what it "really" should be.  This is also why they lean on the MVP's to be leaders in those areas and to share more about what they perhaps should have covered on their own.  Because, I always seem to have to read between the lines on all of their docs.  Although some are excellent and to the point, the majority don't always seem to be.

So now your on the hook!! 😁  You will be the sharer of what you discover from your meeting with them.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!
vladimir84
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @RandyHayes ,

Apparently, Clear() and Collect() separately instead of ClearCollect(), and the code before and after should be synchronous. 

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (2,608)