Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

! BUG - New Lists from Excel

All,

I have fielded a couple of posts asking why field names are field_1, field_2 etc when SharePoint shows the desired field names. It turns out these were imported from Excel recently. I did a test myself and this seems to be the case, which would drive the user crazy in Power Apps having the remember the field name to refer to it in formulas. 

I would be happy for someone to tell me I am wrong here, but if not, this needs to be fixed  . . . and quickly.

8 REPLIES 8
Matthewvize
Helper I
Helper I

Yes I am getting this error also. Do we have to recreate the SharePoint list manuall

to overcome

AJ_Z
Super User
Super User

I have also had the same issue in the past we just recreate the sharepoint list manually should we raise a topic / idea for this? I thought it was just me by the way so thanks @WarrenBelz  for sharing this

If you appreciated my comments/responses please be sure to Like/Kudo them it really does make me smile 🙂 !

NelaEdu
Advocate I
Advocate I

I experience this issue as well

HEATFreight
Super User
Super User

Thanks @WarrenBelz I too have experienced this! Previously my .xlsx tables were being imported to SP list with static names like "field_ColumnName" but suddenly it's "field_#".

The solution I found is to export directly from Excel:
This solved my problem, found from this comment.

@HEATFreight ,

It is not a solution when you cannot create SharePoint Integrated forms from an exported list (as I mentioned in your post). I would have provided that process in this post if it was a viable workaround.

HEATFreight
Super User
Super User

Well it works in my use case. Hopefully I'm not limiting myself in ways I'll regret later...

Do you have any examples of how the SharePoint Integrated forms are used?

Hey, what if you export from Excel first and then create list from that existing list, would that give you the options you're looking for? (Edit: Nope, it does exactly the same thing)

@HEATFreight ,

Most users would find this an unacceptable outcome as it severely limits the future usage of the SharePoint list. Here is a good blog and video from Shane Young on the process of Integrated Forms.

HEATFreight
Super User
Super User

Thanks @WarrenBelz !

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,529)