cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JasonWS
Resolver II
Resolver II

BUG: Submit New Form w/ Attachments = Two Versions

I just want to make sure this is intended behavior. I am creating a record in a SharePoint list via a Form. If I have attachments added to the form, submitting the form results in two versions of the record. The first contains all of the data, but no attachments. The second contains the added attachments. Is this expected behavior?

I only ask because I am taking advantage of versions for a pass/fail status in a production environment. It just makes the versions slightly more difficult to read when there are two initially.

The below screenshot was from a single form submission. Version 1's HasAttachments = false, version 2's HasAttachments = true.

JasonWS_0-1664292127598.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@JasonWS 

Yes, actually I use versioning in almost every list!  There is no better safeguard and audit as well!!   

You could try to open a support ticket on this.  My guess is that it is now considered "by design".  

This forum itself is not a place to do that.  You can go to open a support ticket here at this link.

Be prepared to state the case of the impact that is causing.  

I only say that because, with the thousands of apps we have in place that use attachments, so far there has been no impact.  Would I like it to be tighter??...sure, but if I can't demonstrate a clear impact, it would be a challenge.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@JasonWS 

No, that is not expected.  There should be only one.

Are you using SubmitForm to submit your form?

Do you have any actions in your OnSuccess action formula of the form?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

I have custom actions all over. Nothing in the OnSuccess property has anything to do with form submission. It's mostly just clearing context variables.

I just tried with a new form on a new screen. I just entered gibberish for any required fields, and added a single attachment. The resulting SharePoint list item has two versions. One without the attachment, and one with.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@JasonWS 

Yep, just confirmed same result.  This is not normal!

In fact - it is a performance issue in that there are now occurring TWO data transactions - one is create row and one is create attachment.

SO...this must have changed a while ago and I never noticed it!  

Looking back at some records created in 2021 (2/21) with attachments - their version history shows only one version.  But yet a month later (3/21), they did.

SO...apparently this has been changed a long time ago and I misspoke that it is not normal...after over a year, it would be considered normal!

I'm just happy someone else can confirm it! I know in the past I've accidentally had two commands issuing the SubmitForm() function, such as a button and a timer, so I made sure to double check.

I'm sure not a lot of people are actually using the version feature of SharePoint list items for anything other than occasional auditing. What's the best course of action to submit this as an issue/bug, here on this forum, or shall I contact my company's IT to get support from Microsoft? I realize it's far from a critical issue.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@JasonWS 

Yes, actually I use versioning in almost every list!  There is no better safeguard and audit as well!!   

You could try to open a support ticket on this.  My guess is that it is now considered "by design".  

This forum itself is not a place to do that.  You can go to open a support ticket here at this link.

Be prepared to state the case of the impact that is causing.  

I only say that because, with the thousands of apps we have in place that use attachments, so far there has been no impact.  Would I like it to be tighter??...sure, but if I can't demonstrate a clear impact, it would be a challenge.

I need admin approval to view that link, unfortunately. I'm sure our IT doesn't want hundreds of random non business-critical tickets being submitted to Microsoft. And I agree, the impact is minimal. All it really does is make the version history just a bit more confusing to read.

Thanks for the help.

JasonWS
Resolver II
Resolver II

I figured I would add some data to this. I decided to monitor an app session, and it turns out there is a version as well as an API call for each attachment submitted. If I attach 10 images to the Attachment card in the form, there will be a brand new SharePoint list item with 11 versions. I do think this is a problem.

JasonWS_1-1664460830921.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,492)