Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

[BUG?] Swiss region with German language on Iphone devices

So I created an app with powerapps.

I set the text input field property is Number (this important).

My problem is that, on Iphone devices when settings Iphone region is Swiss with Iphone language is German, the text field doesn't work. I can't enter a decimal number, because the PowerApps delete the dot (.) .

The problem occurs only in the Swiss region with German language on Iphone devices.

I attached the bug.:
bug.gif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Swiss German region is not officially supported in Power Apps, so the behavior falls back to German. That's why the number input only accepts comma as a decimal separator. You can find the officially supported regions using the trick mentioned in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-language.

You can put in a feature request for more supported regions at https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas.

You can also let Apple know that their number keypad should have more useful symbols, or allow switching to the full keyboard. Here's how the number keypad looks like on a Google Pixel phone. It has both comma and period symbols, and also a negative symbol, which iPhones do not have.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

When the region is Swiss German, Power Apps only accepts the comma character as a decimal separator. For example, "2,50". iOS keypad should show comma instead of period as a decimal separator. If it doesn't, make sure that the iPhone Language is set to German. I am not able to reproduce on my iPhone. I get a comma as the decimal separator.

The keys that are shown on the number keyboard is determined by the phone. For example, some Android phones show negative symbols but iPhones do not.

Highlighted

Hi @tahoon,

Can't set the separator of the Iphone devices. The separator is "dot" in Swiss Region with German language.

It doesn't work on my colleague's Iphone...

This settings:

bug2.jpg

Highlighted

@tahoon 

It's even more interesting... 😁

Drag and Drop only, "dot" can be placed.

bug2.gif

Highlighted

Have you updated to the latest iOS (13.3)? I tried changing my phone language to German (Swiss) and got a number keypad with a comma symbol.

Settings > General > Language & Region > iPhone Language

Einstellungen > Allgemein > Sprache & Region > iPhone-Sprache

If you have a text input in the Power App, the German keyboard should appear (QWERTZ).

Highlighted

Oops, I spoke too soon. I didn't set the region earlier. Once I set it to Schweiz, the wrong number keypad appears.

This is an Apple bug. It affects other apps and websites as well. For example, go to https://inputmodes.com/ on Safari and select the first text field (inputmode=decimal). You can test how the keypad appears with other combinations of language and region.

A workaround is to set the region to Germany (Deutschland) or Austria (Österreich).

Highlighted

Elaborating on my previous response, Switzerland actually uses both comma and period as decimal separators! It depends on the situation. Period is predominantly used with computers. So, I was wrong in saying that the iOS behavior is a bug. It would be nice though if the keypad had both symbols so that users can enter whichever they want.

If access to all symbols is important, another solution is to set VirtualKeyboardMode property of the text input to VirtualKeyboardMode.Text. This will show the full text keyboard.

Highlighted

@tahoon 

Unfortunately, this is not a good solution... 😞

It's important for me to have a Numpad available. So Important that Text Input field is be Number format.

Can I report this bug to PowerApps to fix it?

Highlighted

Swiss German region is not officially supported in Power Apps, so the behavior falls back to German. That's why the number input only accepts comma as a decimal separator. You can find the officially supported regions using the trick mentioned in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-language.

You can put in a feature request for more supported regions at https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas.

You can also let Apple know that their number keypad should have more useful symbols, or allow switching to the full keyboard. Here's how the number keypad looks like on a Google Pixel phone. It has both comma and period symbols, and also a negative symbol, which iPhones do not have.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,122)