Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: BUG2 TODAY: Sharepoint columns renamed by PowerApps to random strings

All good @anees, I think I got it. 

The part of this situation that prompted the post is that, its random which column received internal vs display name: 

1. I create SP lists all the time as PowerApp backends and this has never happened before
  2. For this particular list, only 12 or so of the 40 columns show the "internal" name. The rest are named just like I named them.
  3. 2 columns are named "ODATA.%20..." which isn't an internal nor display name.

I just want to prevent this from happening again when I recreate this 40 column list and future lists. Sounds like its being worked on. I appreciate all the follow up. 

Lets me know i'm not going crazy! 🙂

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Sharepoint columns renamed by PowerApps to random strings

Hello @anees and @LanceDelano. My memory was jogged and I believe I found the issue. 

• Instead of clicking "List Settings/Advanced/Create Column" on this particular list, I used Quick Edit to add columns. 

After communicating this issue with another user, they also saw this random naming issue when using Quick Edit to add columns. 

I haven't had the time to reproduce the error, but its something you may want to investigate. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This is happening again. Earlier this week I was able to reference display names from my SharePoint list, today, I cannot access several columns and the name has been changed to internal names (that I never entered i.e. _x0067_js7)

Please advise.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @TTaylorAPS ,

I found that this problem occurs when:

- In a Sharepoint list, you enter "Quick Edit Mode"

- While in Quick Edit Mode, you click "Add Column"

- All columns added in this way will be created with a random string as you indicated.

Did you create new columns in this manner?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi and Thanks.

I normally create the list before the PowerApp and never experienced the issue before.

It has since seemed to have resolved itself.🤔
I'll keep your tips in mind going forward though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,395)