cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beerone1
Frequent Visitor

Barcode open Sharepoint Folder

Is it possible to scan a bar code to open a folder in SharePoint.

There's the obvious way of using a QR code to open the link, however the link potentially displays a lot of information about that SharePoint site and it's contents. So anyone who scans the QR code could know that I like pink unicorns "beerones.sharepoint.com/:f/r/site/LikesUnicorns/PinkUnicorns

Is there away that I can link a bar code .IE 123abc which opens the relevant folder in SharePoint.

4 REPLIES 4
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @beerone1 ,

As you would know a barcode is no different to any other piece of user information input such as a drop down or text input.

I generally set a Variable on the output and use that for any dynamic action.

A SharePoint folder has a URL, so if you had a reference table of what barcode belonged to what folder, you could lookup the reference and launch it.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more. It also closes the item.

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @beerone1 ,

Is there corresponding sub folder existed for the barcode value that you scanned?

I assume that each barcode you scanned have corresponding Sub folder existed in your SP Site, based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the Launch function could achieve your needs.

I have made a test on my side, please consider take a try with the following workaround:

Set the OnScan property of the Barcode Scanner control to following:

Launch("https://beerones.sharepoint.com/:f/r/site/LikesUnicorns/" & EncodeUrl(BarcodeScanner1.Value))

Please consider take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
beerone1
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply's

I tried the OnScan function, whilst the OnScan did work with the encodeURL, the barcode doesn't link to a site.  

I'm not sure how to call the variable that you were speaking of, I'm a little bit of a noob in this area.

Thanks again for your help its appreciated.

Hi @beerone1 ,

My process would be pretty much as outlined by @v-xida-msft except I set a Variable on the barcode output

Set(vScanCode,BarcodeScanner1.Value)

and then use this in the launch code. This is not really necessary and using the code value in the Launch URL will do the same job.

You just need to tie the bar code with the item it relates to. So, if it is a folder named the same as the barcode, you launch the parent path as a string with the barcode value on the end. If you have a reference table somewhere that says which barcodes are in which folders, then you need to do a Lookup to get the value and launch that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (39,182)