cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bitgalicia
Helper I
Helper I

Barcode reader integrated in device does not read in powerapps. Why?

barcode reader integrated in device does not read in powerapps. Why?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
EricLott
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@bitgalicia 

I've got this working on my TC20. Are you still having issues?

View solution in original post

No, I have already solved it, thanks for your help, very kind

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

@bitgalicia 

We are not sure. Is it because the Barcode Reader uses a mobile phone's Camera to take picture of the barcode and then read the barcode from the picture, rather than a more rare use case of using an actual hardware Barcode Scanner attached to the device?

Other than maybe the above, we're not sure of an answer on this one.

EricLott
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

So you have a barcode integrated device such as a Zebra Android device and you want to use it with PowerApps?

Yes, and it is not able to read in PowerApps because the barcode reader uses the camera of a mobile phone to take a picture of the barcode and then read the barcode of the image, do you know if there is any solution?

Try this:

Add a text input control with the DelayOutput property set to true

In its OnChange property, add this:

Set(ScanValue,TextInput1.Text);
Notify("You scanned an item. Barcode Value: " & ScanValue);
Reset(TextInput1);
SetFocus(TextInput1);
//Add the rest of your code here..

Save and publish the app, try scanning something. It should pop up a notification with the barcode's value.

If that works, remove the Notify() function and add in the rest of your code after the SetFocus() function.

If this doesn't work, make sure that when you scan something, the scanner is sending an ENTER command after each scan. You can test this by opening a Notes app on your android device and scan something. It should enter the barcode value and then go to a new line.

This is something we're planning on doing at work, so keep me posted if it works! We've got a Zebra ordered and this is what I was going to try.

---
If this answered your question, please click "Accept Solution". If this helped, please Thumbs Up.

The problem is that it does not write what it scans in the text control, but if you do it outside of PowerApps, the reader works perfectly. That's why I explained before, it doesn't emulate keyboard.

I see. So even in a Notes app, it doesn't emulate a keyboard? Or is it specific to PowerApps?

Is it specific to PowerApps

@bitgalicia

I have a Zebra TC20 arriving today. I am going to experiment with it. I'll let you know what I find out.

EricLott
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@bitgalicia 

I've got this working on my TC20. Are you still having issues?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (2,715)