cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyKuiperSAAS
Helper I
Helper I

Barcode scanning and result data

I am using the barcode scanning in an app, but am curious as to what each type of barcode will return. I use a self generated 3of9 code for my simple part numbers which needs to be printed using a "*" at either end for example to make it readable.

Other barcodes (official EAN type) do not need this.

The docs on barcode scanning seem a bit light on details. There are options for value and text for example. What is the difference.

Is there a difference in the data that comes back from an EAN or other unique globally valid BC versus the simple return of numbers that a 3of9 does?

3 REPLIES 3
CWileyRRT
Helper IV
Helper IV

The default code type is Automatic so as long as its within the acceptable barcodes, the output will equate to the barcode type and date.

You can also specify exactly which type of barcodes a scanner will scan.

So if I scan one of the globally unique codes I'll get that data?

I saw a youtube video of something that appeared to do this. The person scanned a Chipotle sauce bottle and the whole list of ingredients came up on the app. For my purposes I'm probably just going to need the number for a lookup process in a SP list.

v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TonyKuiperSAAS ,

Do you want to know the value that the barcode scanner could get?

Usually, we use this formula to represent the value that the barcode scanner get:

barcodescannername.Value

The result usually is number value.

The supported barcode type:

Barcode Type Android iOS
QR_CODE
DATA_MATRIX
UPC_A
UPC_E
EAN_8
EAN_13
CODE_39
CODE_93
CODE_128
CODABAR
ITF
RSS14
PDF_417
RSS_EXPANDED
MSI
AZTEC

NOTE: PDF_417 and AZTEC aren't supported in Auto mode

Here's a doc about this control for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/controls/control-new-barcode-scanner

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (56,645)