Did you mean: 
JRaasumaa
Level 10

Re: Barcode scanning - not working on iPhones

Still looking for an update on this @v-yamao-msft

Power Apps Staff miglisic
Power Apps Staff

Hi all, this should be fixed in version 690 which was just released. Are you still experiencing the problem?

JRaasumaa
Level 10

@miglisic wrote:

Hi all, this should be fixed in version 690 which was just released. Are you still experiencing the problem?

Yes, the problem still exists. 

JRaasumaa
Level 10

Any update from Microsoft on this at all? When can we expect that this is resolved? 

Super User
Super User

Works like a charm on all Android devices, but not on iPhone 6s or iPad mini, both running IOS 11.2. Tried different sizes and settings to no avail.

Any feedback when this will work in IOS devices?

JRaasumaa
Level 10

We're back to having intermittent issues with the scanner working.

One "fix" that sometimes seems to help is to set the BarCode type as a variable and change it to blank and back to the type over and over to force it to work.

For example:

I have a "Start" button that has OnSelect set to:

UpdateContext({BarType: ""});UpdateContext({BarType: Code128});UpdateContext({BarType: ""});UpdateContext({BarType: Code128})

And the BarCode screens' "Barcode type" is set to BarType variable.

When pushed it 80-90% of the time refreshes that screens barcode scanning and it works. Definitely not reliable enough to use in a production environment though.

Super User
Super User

Thanks for the tip, @JRaasumaa! I put the button in my app, and when pressed, usually only once, the app can scan even on my IOS devices. How very odd that it solves the problem!

Hope MS can fix it soon, even if given their track record on bug fixing, I think it will still be a long wihle.

Super User
Super User

@JRaasumaa, do you know if there's a way to detect what kind of device the app is running on? It would be nice to hide the button refreshshing the variables when the app is not run on an IOS device (in my app I namned it iPhone :p)

JRaasumaa
Level 10

@BitLord69 wrote:

@JRaasumaa, do you know if there's a way to detect what kind of device the app is running on? It would be nice to hide the button refreshshing the variables when the app is not run on an IOS device (in my app I namned it iPhone :p)

From what I've been able to see there isn't yet. There's no harm in having the button there and clicking it on other platforms from what I've seen though, I even had it run OnVisible on a few screens without a problem on PC or iOS.

Super User
Super User

I agree, there's no harm, but it's not nice either to have a button that you don't need for other platforms. Luckily, we in the IT-department all have Android phones; only I have tow IOS deviced for reference and testing.

Hopefully MS will get their stuff together and fix the problem so we don't have to have the workaround.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,480)