cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akharns
Helper V
Helper V

Behavior with Data Table selected fill

I have a screen with 3 data tables.  The selected row in the top data table serves as a filter for the other two.  I changed the Selected Fill property for the top data table to show it more clearly.  I did not change the property for the other two data tables.

I am getting strange behavior for all three tables at runtime.  My chosen selected fill color will sometimes stop showing in the top table and it will sometimes show in rows in the other tables.  It seems to go off and on without any aparent trigger.

6 REPLIES 6
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @akharns ,

Do you mean the Selected Fill property of the Top Data Table does not work, but work in other two Data Tables which have not set the Selected Fill property?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned. Please consider do not filter your two other Data Table records based on the Top Data Table directly, instead, store the selected item in your Top Data Table into a variable, then filter your other two Data Tables based on the variable.

Please make sure you have removed the formula within the HoverFill property of the Top Data Table.

Please set the OnSelect property of All columns in your Top Data Table to following:

Set(CurrentSelected, DataTable1.Selected)

and remove the formula within the HoverFill property of the Top Data Table.

Then set the Items property of your other two Data Tables to following:

Filter('DataSource', FilteredColumn = CurrentSelected.ColumnName)

If the issue still exists, please consider turn off the "Enable improved data table control selection and Value property" option within Advanced settings of App settings of your app, then add new Data Table controls in your app, check if the issue is solved.

Note: Please make sure you do not change the Selected Fill property of the other two data tables.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This sounds very promising. I'll try it out.  I still don't understand why a setting in one Data Table could impact a different Data Table.

Funny you should mention selected fill.   I set the Fill property and suddenly started getting errors on selected fill or hover fill, that I could not fix.  😕

m getting all those fill properties mixed up.  I'll have to check on whether it was selected fill or hover fill.  Your suggestion that it might be a control-level property vs a column property might be the key.  I'll look.

The Data Table doesn't have on OnSelect property, such that I could use it to capture the row into a variable.  That's available only at the column, which doesn't make sense to me.  A user selects a row, not a column.

More precise info:

• My primary table has the selected fill set to RGBA(250, 155, 112, 1).   I did not change the hover color or fill.
  • My secondary table has original selected and hover fills.
  • On the primary table, clicking a row once and moving away returns the fill color to pre-select values, acting as a hover fill.  Clicking it twice causes it to stay with the new fill color.
  • On the secondary table, hovering over the table after getting the parent table to show new selected fill color causes the secondary table's 1st row to show with the new fill color.  It stays after the mouse moves off the row.  Clicking on any other row restores to the default fill color.

Very strange.

I tried most of your recommendations.  (The last one seemed more radical and I didn't know how to do it anyway.)  I don't think it has changed much if anything.  I did not try the last suggesting.  It seemed radical and I didn't find the options you suggested.

As you have observed, the behavior is a mixture of "selected" and "hover" behavior.  The details I provided in my last post are better.  Clicking twice on a row behaves differently than clicking once, both for the top table and subsequent behavior in the lower tables.  

I did create a variable with the key value rather than referencing the top table in the filter commands.  I can't tell if it changed the behavior.  Maybe not.

I actually don't want any selection in the lower tables, and I tried removing the selected fill from those tables.  (I realize you said not to do that.  I read that too late.)  Regardless, the default selected fill still persists.  This is not a serious problem, only a curiosity.

I think I need to ignore the quirky behavior.  This app was intended as a utility rather than a primary business tool.  I will need to think carefully about using multiple data tables on the same screen in the future.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

PA Community Call

Power Apps Community Call

Next call is happening on April 21st at 8a PST.

MBAS Carousel

May the fourth be with you, join us online!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (40,889)