cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lefty
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Best/Easiest way to export canvas app, flows associated with the app and SP list (without data)

Hi all,

I am wanting to have access to all my canvas apps in a separate unlinked environment.

I know the best way would have been to use solutions but I am not in this position and have not created my canvas apps inside a solution.

This is what I know I need to do manually (there may be a better way):

1. Export each canvas app using 'Export package'
  2. Save the flows by going to Power Automate - Export - Package (.zip)
  3. Save the SP lists without data by using the 'Save list as template'

Issue is, if I have a number of apps, doing the above seems very time consuming

• Is there a better way other than using solutions? Even if it applies to some of the tasks, i.e. maybe a PnP script to extract all SP lists?
  • Is there a free SP (o365) dev subscription, I can see there is a Power platform 1 year dev subscription for free and a 90 day o365 subscription for free (allowing me to use SP which is my data source for all my canvas apps)? As I will be using these apps for dev only is there a better free option, which will continue for a longer period?
  • Curious when I import the canvas app, flow(s) and connect to a SP list in a different environment, if the data will reconnect removing all custom settings on the data cards and layouts of the data cards (I haven't tried this yet as do not have access to a dev environment)?
  • Anything else I need to be aware/mindful of?

Hopefully someone can guide me.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

image.png

The Apps and flows should be in the same environment - the SharePoint list doesn't exist in an environment, so you would just need to recreate the list in the destination tenant.

There are more advanced ways to create your SharePoint lists using flow instead of manually, although these may take longer to set up than doing it manually if you have a lot of them.

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
iAm_ManCat
Super User
Super User

You can add existing apps and flows to a solution, you don't have to start by building it in the solution - this will allow you to easily manage them under one solution, and when you import then in the new environment they will be manageable under that imported solution

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Lefty
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@iAm_ManCat 

I could not see this as an option, I read you couldn't add a flow which wasn't part of the solution and the flow needed to be re-built inside the solution. Any further guidance would be appreciated.

Would you also know how I get around SP as the data source and how I get the entire canvas app (app, flow and SP data source) working as if it was in the same environment?

image.png

The Apps and flows should be in the same environment - the SharePoint list doesn't exist in an environment, so you would just need to recreate the list in the destination tenant.

There are more advanced ways to create your SharePoint lists using flow instead of manually, although these may take longer to set up than doing it manually if you have a lot of them.

@iAm_ManCat

Thanks!
Sancho Harker, MVP

Lefty
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks @iAm_ManCat 

I looked at this and couldn't get it to work, so checked MS docs and found this suggesting the app ought to have been created in a solution:

Lefty_1-1654008622407.png

This was previously the case, hwoever adding apps from outside solutions is now possible:

image.png

@iAm_ManCat

Thanks!
Sancho Harker, MVP

Lefty
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@iAm_ManCat 

Thank you, I was missing that... duh

How would I overcome the SP list issue. Save as template is the best option if I don't go down the route of scripts or flow?

I have over 20+ SP lists

Yes, template would be the route I would take! 🙂

@iAm_ManCat

Thanks!
Sancho Harker, MVP

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,071)