cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcRohde
Level: Powered On

Best Practices - What do you wish you thought of before.....?

Our company has just started using PowerApps and CDS to develop internal applications.  The tools are great!  But.....

As MS acknowledge during the Business Summit governance can seem like it could become a bit of a nightmare as the pool of applications increases and the number of developers and 'citizen developers' increases. It reminds me of the early days of Access when MS released a great development framework and then unmanaged Access databases started to proliferate like Excel files.

I'm wondering what tips you would give to an organization just starting out that would save them time and pain later?

An example, form some of our current planning is to try to organize groups of apps be solutions with defined prefixes. Also, creating a solution for entities that will likely be common to multiple apps so people know where to look for common data like employees, product lists, etc so we can integrate once and use many.

In the old days, when I saw the same trend with Access, these were issues that caused me pain with the sprawl of data and integration points that got 'dumped' into IT when departments lost their Access 'citizen developers' who built great, mission-critical apps without a plan.

I would love your input and examples!

1 REPLY 1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Best Practices - What do you wish you thought of before.....?

I would make sure you create an Alert Policy in the Audit Log Search feature of the Security and Compliance center.  You can create alerts for things like Create a new App or Publish an App.  Then the alert can be sent to either an enterprise adminstrator or some shared mailbox that enterprise admins have access to.  This is the best way to keep track of what all the Citizen developers are doing in your Enterprise. If its a large enterprise you might also want to write a Flow that analyzes the email alerts as they arrive to look for specific anomalies and raise them to someone's attention. This is one way to find a rogue citizen developer before they can do serious damage with an app that flies under the radar.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,680)