cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bedavidz
Frequent Visitor

Best approach for pictures and thumbnails with a gallery ?

Good morning everyone,

I have built an application to store information about board games, a kind of library to facilitate the share between the children in our structure. The application store only text for the moment and it is based on a list.

I would like to add the possibility for the user to upload a single picture for each game.

The picture should be shown in a reduced size in the gallery (really reduced for better performance?) and in a bigger size in the game details.

What could be the best solution to be able to load a picture, produce automatically a smaller thumbnail, and store the 2 images ?

List attachement ? separated document library ? how to reduce image size ? other better solution ?

(In the future I could be able to use CDS)

Thank you for your help!

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
timl
Super User
Super User

@Bedavidz 

If you are considering using CDS (Dataverse), that would provide a very simple solution.

This is because with image columns, Dataverse automatically generates a thumbnail image whenever a user saves an image to a field. There's no additional code that you need to write.

If you were to display the table in a gallery control in a canvas app, the image control will show the thumbnail by default to optimise performance. You can access the full image easily by referencing the "full" property of the image.

As Dataverse supports the "explicit column selection" feature (which you can configure through the settings of a canvas app), this further optimises performance because if you were to display a gallery, or to do a look up on a record without referencing the image, Power Apps will not pull the image from the server.

Another feature is that you can build a model driven app over Dataverse. The image control in model driven apps is richer than the canvas app equivalent, because it provides basic edit functionality. If you're building apps for kids, this could be a fun feature because it would allow the children to draw, annotate, and save the images through a control that's completely built-in.

Generating thumbnail images and storing those in SharePoint will involve much more work. Are you specifically looking for a SharePoint solution?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Bedavidz ,

I have a blog on this subject that may be useful to you.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

timl
Super User
Super User

@Bedavidz 

If you are considering using CDS (Dataverse), that would provide a very simple solution.

This is because with image columns, Dataverse automatically generates a thumbnail image whenever a user saves an image to a field. There's no additional code that you need to write.

If you were to display the table in a gallery control in a canvas app, the image control will show the thumbnail by default to optimise performance. You can access the full image easily by referencing the "full" property of the image.

As Dataverse supports the "explicit column selection" feature (which you can configure through the settings of a canvas app), this further optimises performance because if you were to display a gallery, or to do a look up on a record without referencing the image, Power Apps will not pull the image from the server.

Another feature is that you can build a model driven app over Dataverse. The image control in model driven apps is richer than the canvas app equivalent, because it provides basic edit functionality. If you're building apps for kids, this could be a fun feature because it would allow the children to draw, annotate, and save the images through a control that's completely built-in.

Generating thumbnail images and storing those in SharePoint will involve much more work. Are you specifically looking for a SharePoint solution?

View solution in original post

@Bedavidz ,

@timl 's comments are absolutely correct for DataVerse and you should follow them if that is what you are considering using (you do however need to pay for the Premium connector). My blog relates to SharePoint.

Bedavidz
Frequent Visitor

Thank you to both of you, I have now all the information I need to improve our app.

I will first investigate with our IT service if I could obtain an environnement with a database and try this way.

If it is not possible I will stick to the Sharepoint list. Below a printscreen of my app for illustration.

Have a good day

David

Bedavidz_0-1620805811890.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,645)