cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Best practice for working with data in SQL Server

Hi

I'm looking for someone to confirm that the following is possible.

I have a table (Product) sitting in a Azure VM with a SQL Server 2016 installed. The SQL Server is acessible through an endpoint and i can connect to the table in Power Apps. Now in that table i have some rows that i would like to be able to edit - from an end user point of view.

So question 1 is - is that possible using PowerApps?

What i found so far is that it's possible to change data IF it's in a sharepoint list, but 'm looking for a solution where i want to be able to edit/add a row in the product table in the SQL Server. So far noone seems to have tried that out (any video around would be appreciated)

In PowerApps i can see that i can add a Forms -> Entity Form (experimental) where it is then possible to edit/add a row in a table BUT it then needs to reside in the Common Data Service, which is then not accecible from a SQL Server.....or how would you then get the information from CDS into the SQL Server Product table (which is where the rest of the ERP system resides) ?

And does Experimental mean that it's probably going to be decomissioned anytime soon ?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Best practice for working with data in SQL Server

Hi @cpl123,

Yes, it is possible to use PowerApps to edit corresponding rows in PowerApps.

Follow the article below to connect to the table in SQL Server:

Connect from Microsoft PowerApps to SQL Server

There would be three screen generated, after selecting the corresponding row, then we could edit it with the editform control:

Understand data forms in Microsoft PowerApps

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,575)