Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Olivier
Level 8

Best practices for near realtime clients synchronization

Hi all,

If a client updates some parameters that we want reflected as soon as possible to all clients, the client performing the update needs to use the Patch command for every update to the parameter(s) obviously, but beyond that what is the best way to notify other clients that they need to retrieve the updated parameter?  Is there a better way than to have the updating client directly connect with the clients that need to update?

Thanks,

Olivier

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mr-dang
Level 10

Re: Best practices for near realtime clients synchronization

Ohhh Okay, I think this might be a job for Flow.

I set up Push notifications to appear whenever my app is opened. You could setup a Push notification to your phone whenever a record is written. I have not played with it much outside of that, but I imagine that you could setup a kind of Flow that would detect changes and perform an action.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mr-dang
Level 10

@hpkeong recommended to me in the past to use a repeating timer that did Refresh(datasource) at a reasonable interval.

Set Timer1 properties to:

Timer1.Repeat: true
Timer1.AutoStart: true
Timer1.Start: true
Timer1.OnTimerEnd: Refresh(datasource)
Timer1.Duration: [the amount of seconds you want it to refresh * 1000 to put it in milliseconds]

Outside of refreshing, I don't know how to notify other users that changes have been made.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
Olivier
Level 8

Thank you mr-dang, I was hoping that there would be a better solution than that, but I understand that without a server scheme where, for some critical parameters, all clients could be "pinged" to reload, there is not much we can do.

I was wondering if there was a recommended way to set-up our own server infrastructure that would take care of that "notification channel" and still be compatible with PowerApps...

Thanks,

Olivier

mr-dang
Level 10

Ohhh Okay, I think this might be a job for Flow.

I set up Push notifications to appear whenever my app is opened. You could setup a Push notification to your phone whenever a record is written. I have not played with it much outside of that, but I imagine that you could setup a kind of Flow that would detect changes and perform an action.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

Olivier
Level 8

That would make sense, I haven't done much with Flow either, but at least this is something that would still stay within the MS framework and could work.

I'll consider this question answered,

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,826)